The Last Film Seen

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: The Last Film Seen

Postby wpqx » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:20 pm

The Weeping Meadow (2004) - Theo Angelopoulus

I'll get the full review up, but Jesus what a strange night it turned out to be.

Postby A » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:26 pm

Wow, am very intrigued. Haven't seen Theo's latest.

Postby smurfrevolt » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:52 am

hi, trevor, the spongebob movie was actually horrible, compared to the TV series. I didn't laugh once while watching the film, unlike with the TV series. Maybe, I had too high expectations...but spongebob is better on TV.

Postby smurfrevolt » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:56 am

Me, You and Everyone We Know--I love the scene where Christine and the shoe salesman compares their "relationship" to the sidewalk. And I just love how real the dialogue is...Plus, those two kids, they're adorable, and the goldfish scene.

Haven't posted here in months. I'm trying to catch up!

Postby smurfrevolt » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:11 pm

I said in the Korean Korner, watched The Isle last Thursday, and will watch JSA this evening. =D

Postby trevor826 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:02 pm

All on dvd, and all repeat viewings.

Star Wars Episode Three Revenge of the Sith.
The Edukators.
The Descent.

I know you're still waiting for The Descent to be released in the U.S. so it may be possible to discuss it at a future date.

Cheers Trev.

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:59 am

Thanks for your comments, Trev.

In my opinion, after seeing an interview with an extremely sheepish Terry Gilliam and watching the film (luckily for free) I can only come to the conclusion that this was not the film Terry intended it to be.

There's little doubt that the Weinsteins interfered quite a bit. There were moments in the film when I thought that this is pure Gilliam, but perhaps there weren't enough of them.

The stars (Matt Damon especially and Heath Ledger) seemed unsure of what they were supposed to be doing and looked quite bemused and puzzled throughout most of the film. The CGI effects that replaced Gilliam's unique designs and hacked together effects were nothing short of lousy, no style, no substance and just poor to at best average CGI (yawn).

Matt Damon's British accent (why were the Germans speaking in British accents?) disappeared about halfway through the film. I thought there were some clever set-pieces in the forest, and the final "mirror" showdown was interesting. The gingerbread man scene was certainly lousy, along with an earlier one in the barn.

Lena Headey, what can I say? nothing really, Id love to have seen what Samantha Morton would have done with the role (as Terry Gilliams first choice). I said it before about Brotherhood of the Wolf and I have to say it again for The Brothers Grimm, not even the gorgeous Monica Bellucci could save it

Headey was barely noticeable. Actually, I didn't even realize that it was her (the girl from Aberdeen) until I went to imdb. The film needed more of Monica Bellucci.

Postby trevor826 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:46 am

Thanks arsaib4, there were as you mentioned moments of pure Terry Gilliam, unfortunately they were too few and too far between which was a shame.

As far as the effects vs cgi, I gave up as soon as the child swallowing horse made a run for it, in fact horses seemed to present quite a few problems along with "the gingerbread man scene" and other bits and pieces. Loved the catapult though, one scene in particular that was pure Giliam/Monty Python.

Monica Bellucci is a good actress and has a sense of humour (it also helps that she has that "classic beauty"), the film could've done with a lot more in the way of "Wicked Witch" scenes.

Cheers Trev.

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:57 am

Who inherits the guilt in the case of death penalty? Thats the question posed and rather obliquely addressed by Shadow Kill (Nizhalkkuthu), the latest film from Indian New Cinema pioneer Adoor Gopalakrishnan. Set in colonial India in the early-1940s, the film examines the guilt-ridden life of a state-appointed hangman named Kaliyappan (Oduvil Unnikrishnan). While he works for the state of Travancore, hes assigned to live outside its boundaries since the officials arent comfortable with him being around people he might have to hang one day. So, Kaliyappan and his family -- a wife, a pubescent daughter, a Gandhian, freedom fighter son -- reside in a small rural village whose inhabitants ironically believe that the ash from his rope contains healing powers. The beautifully paced and consistently engrossing first half, which promises more than what the film ultimately ends up delivering, features Kaliyappan in a state of despair due to his belief that the last man he hanged was innocent, and hes taken to drinking to ease the pain. His son may not want to continue in his fathers footsteps, but he doesnt get a say when a sick Kaliyappan is called in to perform an execution and hes asked to accompany him. At this juncture, Gopalakrishnan veers to overlap his narrative threads that may or may not meet at the ends as Kaliyappans daughter and her sexuality become the focal point after a state official starts to tell a story about a young girl who was raped and murdered. The second halfs melodious images also undermine and distill some of the complexities the film established earlier on. However, Shadow Kill, which is possibly a minor work in the directors much celebrated oeuvre, still has resonance because Gopalakrishnan with his trademark subtlety points toward pertinent issues surrounding the death penalty.

*The film premiered at the Venice Film Festival in 2002.

*SHADOW KILL was part of the GFI (Global Film Initiative): "A New York-based, nonprofit foundation working with leading American cultural institutions to promote cross-cultural understanding through cinema. Each year, The Initiative acquires ten narrative films from the developing world that tour the country for one year." GFI's partner First Run Features recently established a Global Lens Series, allowing them to release the features on DVD.

*A DVD is now available.

Postby trevor826 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:45 pm

Police Beat, there was a Q&A with the main actor after the film but I didn't stay, mainly because they screened it in the wrong aspect ratio and that messed my eyes up.

Comments will follow asap.

Cheers Trev.

Return to Film Talk