The Last Film Seen

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: The Last Film Seen

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:29 am

Indeed. It's hard for me to pick one but Red Psalm is certainly one of his best. It garnered Jancsó the Best Director award at Cannes (incidentally, Tarkovsky's Solaris, which was also part of the competition, won the Grand Jury prize). The Hungarian master is still alive and well and has continued making films but not much has been written about them. It's likely that they aren't as accomplished as his '60s and '70s work.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:45 am

Well Szabo's films haven't been all that great of recent years, wonder if the day will come for a complete retro.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:44 pm

Posthumously, perhaps, so he won't have to be there to present miramaxicals like Sunshine and Being Julia. But Szabó is much younger and much better known than Jancsó, though arguably, even at his best, he isn't nearly as great.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:48 am

Is miramaxicals an arsaib original, because I'm stealing that term?

Sometime in the last 48 hours I also watched Maurice Pialat's Police which I thought was a DVD transfer, but wound up just being a dvd burn of the New Yorker VHS, oh well live and learn. Still a fascinating film, but perhaps my expectations are officially too high for every film I see from here on out.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:12 am

No, not an arsaib original; I think Michael Atkinson coined it while he was at the 'Voice.

Lamentably the extras-laden French 2-disc set of Police doesn't feature English subs. It is a fascinating film, and appears to be extremely well researched (in fact, the bar owner in the film ended up getting convicted in real-life). I think it's rightly considered as one of the finest policiers of the recent past. It was nice to see that Criterion took care of À nos amours. Perhaps it's too much to ask of them to now do one of Pialat's great early films like We Won't Grow Old Together or The Mouth Agape but Police and the Golden Palm winner Under the Sun of Satan shouldn't be out of the question.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:40 am

I'll take anything on DVD at this point.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:51 pm

Same here. It's rather remarkable considering his oeuvre that Pialat isn't better known outside of France, where his stature rivals that of Bresson.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:09 pm

I'm still trying to find a copy of Naked Childhood which is the top of my list of Pialat films to find.

My last two films have been Indian, Guru Dutt's Kaagaz Ke Phool (1959) last night and Ritwik Ghatak's Subarnarekha (1965). The Ghatak film was definitely the better of the two, although I was so tired it was hard to stay awake. Also have a copy of Ghatak's Pathetic Fallacy I need to watch so the Indian fest isn't over yet.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:19 am

Good luck finding one with subs. Pialat's feature debut was released as part of Gaumont's second massive box set devoted to him.

I have seen the Dutt film but not the Ghatak. I believe it's now available on (English subtitled) DVD.
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:34 am

Japanese Girls at the Harbor (Japan/1933) - A

Mr. Thank You (1936) - A

Masseurs and the Woman (1938) - B-

Ornamental Hairpin (1941) - A-
arsaib4

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk