The Last Film Seen

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: The Last Film Seen

Postby wpqx » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:29 pm

Police is a funny release considering I just watched it a couple weeks ago, serves me right. Is there some sort of Pialat boxed set, or are Naked Childhood and Police just separate releases?
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:44 am

These two are separate releases -- both 2-disc editions. It's better this way otherwise some are forced to purchase films they've seen and/or have (though sets usually end up being cost-efficient). More Pialat from Eureka/MoC is on the way. Based on this activity, I can also smell a Criterion on the horizon. Just wait and see how Pialat's value goes up all of a sudden. I love him as much as I love Ford, Naruse, Bresson, Fassbinder, Antonioni... and so on and so forth.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:36 am

I'm still waiting to see more before I put him in that category, same goes for Naruse, I've currently only seen four films from each.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:49 am

Shotgun Stories (U.S./2007) - Michael Shannon should corner the market in playing these slightly unhinged Southern men. He's quietly emerged as one of the finest young actors in U.S. today, and he's at least as good if not better here as a lead than he was in Bug (and in some of the other bit parts he's done recently). As for the film, it's more resonant as a mood piece (co-producer David Gordon Green seems to have lent more than just his associate Adam Stone, who debuts here as a DP, to writer-director Jeff Nichols) than as a classic "an-eye-for-an-eye" revenge drama. Nevertheless, as auspicious debut to say the least.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:46 pm

I missed it when it played at the Siskel Center, but I'll try and keep my eye out for it's eventual DVD release.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:58 am

Shotgun Stories just came out on DVD last week (July 1). Check it out; it'd be nice to discuss a new American film which doesn't feature superheroes (though I am looking forward to watching Guillermo Del Toro's Hellboy II: The Golden Army). The primary attraction among the extras is the audio-commentary by the director.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:50 am

Speaking of superheroes watched Rambo III today which closes the door on Rambo films for me. Absolutely silly and ridiculous, but fun. This film has the worst pacing in the series and all around is probably the weakest Rambo film. Still blowing up helicopters never gets old. Interesting that the film is dedicated to the "gallant people of Afghanistan", odd how much the US seems to parallel the old Soviets. Stallone was juiced up big time but the beginning of the film was just too slow.

Also watched the UK film The Zombie Diaries which never quite made it to the US because it was made at almost the same time as Diary of the Dead, which had enough of a select audience. Here the shaky hand held cam got a little old and I was not wholly committed to the story.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:59 am

You certainly love your zombie movies. I still need to see Diary of the Dead which must be out on DVD by now.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:08 pm

It came out about a month ago, still no DVD release for Zombie Strippers. I have a whole group of friends who are passionate about zombie movies so I rarely if ever watch any alone.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:05 am

That's nice. Must be the ideal situation.
arsaib4

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk