La Meglio Giovent (The Best Of Youth) (2003) (Italy)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

La Meglio Giovent (The Best Of Youth) (2003) (Italy)

Postby hengcs » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:03 am

Oh yes, I have just watched the movie …
both parts at ONE GO … WOW!!!
I highly recommend it … ;)

In fact, I even lament that it is not the original 400 min, but 366 min … why? Why? Why?
:( Can someone please tell me those scenes that have been edited?

Although both parts are compelling, I like Best of Youth 2 slightly better … maybe because Best of Youth 1 sets the tone … and by the time you reach Best of Youth 2, you will be captivated … so be patient …

It has everything … from the past (1966) to the present (2003) … from family to social … from sex to religion to politics …

It is about love and conflict, humanity and cruelty …
It is peppered with humor and tragedy, joy and tears …
It is depicted with so much subtlety and expansiveness …

In essence, it is an excellent piece of movie on characterization!
;)

Please visit the official website ...
www.lamegliogioventu.com
hengcs

Re: La Meglio Giovent (The Best Of Youth) (2003) (Italy)

Postby hengcs » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:53 am

(originally posted 2-3 years ago, 04-21-2005 09:32 AM)

(1) Regarding the opening sequences, I think several scenes have been edited out (from the 400 min) such that the contrast of their youth with their latter life is less apparent, and hence it may feel less compelling ...

In fact, after the first 20 min, I was still wondering should I have driven 1 hour (and returned another 1 hour) just to catch the movie ... and have I made a grave mistake by purchasing Part 2 tickets in advance (even before watching Part 1) ...

Fortunately, I stayed till the end of Part 1 and I really like Part 2 ... ha ha ha ... maybe Asians and Latinos prefer melodrama ... hee hee ... just take a look at our daily night TV drama and you will understand ... ha ha ha ...

But what really caught me was:

THERE IS SO MUCH SUBTLETY in the way they depict characters!

-- I actually like it and prefer it over explaining everything to the audience ...

-- In a way, the movie has hinted at why they behave as such ... I do not think it is necessary to explicitly state a lot of things ...

-- In other words, I may be able to try offer some plausible explanations to your qualms about the movie ... but there will be tons of spoilers in order to corroborate the discussion ...
e.g., your 1st critic on Matteo
e.g., your 2nd critic on Guilia ...

However, I would like to believe that:

-- Given a 400 min movie (and filmed in about 24 weeks), it is nearly impossible to be flawless and totally high key throughout ... different audience are bound to be unhappy about certain aspects of the movie ... be it plot, characterization, technical, or other aspects ...
hengcs

Postby hengcs » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:57 am

(originally posted by arsaib4 in another board 04-26-2005 12:37 AM)

I'm also a little surprised with the kind of reviews The Best of Youth has garnered but am not disturbed by them. A 6-hr film doing well critically, and, from what I've heard, commercially - at least at theaters bold enough to program it - is fine by me. I think some of our critics haven't been able to distinguish its "made-for-tv" aspects from the overall sense of grandeur it presents spanning many decades. Marco Tullio Giordana's latest film is in-competition at Cannes this year.

I don't think too many people consider Don't Move a "masterpiece." I don't either but I certainly liked it a lot more than you did. Time permitting, will write more about it.

The Keys to the House (the official American title) did disappear quickly after opening here in December. Lions Gate will release it on DVD on June 28th.
hengcs

Postby hengcs » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:01 am

I have subsequently watched the other two films ...
My thoughts have been or will be in the respective film threads

By the way, I think I recall that Dont Move was a subsitution for the other film Private for Italy's submission to Oscar (all becos of the language issues).
hengcs

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:54 am

Thanks for reminding me about another review I never got around to! Anyway, it seems odd that all of a sudden you've updated the thread nearly 3 years later with these old posts. Did you watch this film again recently by any chance?
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:58 am

This reminds me that I never did see the film. The screening was over two days and cost a pretty penny so I waited for DVD and well I have no excuse after that. Just hard to find the time to sit through a 6 hour film (similar but larger reason why I still haven't seen Heimat).
wpqx

Postby hengcs » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:23 am

Quote arsaib4, "Thanks for reminding me about another review I never got around to! Anyway, it seems odd that all of a sudden you've updated the thread nearly 3 years later with these old posts. Did you watch this film again recently by any chance?"

unfortunately nope, i wouldnt mind though ...
but i have a pipeline of movies i have wanted to watch or write abt which i have no time ... sigh

then why?!
becos I was reading a new blog by SFS ...
sgfilmsoc.blogspot.com/20...-2007.html

hee hee
hengcs

Postby wpqx » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:00 am

Well I finally got around to watching the film today (was very pleased to find it in my local library). An astonishing film pretty much from start to finish encompassing so much of modern history yet remaining personal. I suppose I can change what I've been saying about modern Italian cinema.
wpqx

Postby hengcs » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:16 am

I am glad you like the film too.
hengcs

Postby wpqx » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:29 am

You'd figured I'd have more to say after watching it for six hours, but apparently not. Was this originally made for TV? I thought perhaps someone was just ambitious enough to make a six hour film. The cinematography was excellent as well and this never "looked" like a TV movie.
wpqx

Return to Film Talk