The Last King of Scotland (UK) (2006)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

The Last King of Scotland (UK) (2006)

Postby hengcs » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:21 am

Director: Kevin Macdonald
Cast: Forest Whitaker, James McAvoy

hmmm ... cant seem to locate it in the index, no one has watched?

hmmm ... recommended ...

Re: The Last King of Scotland (UK) (2006)

Postby hengcs » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:27 am

i have just read justin's review on Gnral Idi Amin Dada: Autoportrait (1974) (Barbet Schroeder)

Re: The Last King of Scotland (UK) (2006)

Postby wpqx » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:39 pm

I would be quite happy if a film shot in Africa by whites for once didn't decide to use color filters. Kevin Macdonald (best known for several documentaries) employs the cliche tactic that a hand held camera must make it seem like non-fiction. All too many films have been made in recent years about Africa and somehow they all seem to say the same thing, that all Africans are crazy lunatics that need the great rational white man to keep them in line. However I guess the "real" Africa that you may find in African made films isn't cinematic enough for mainstream tastes. This film was far too formulaic and condescending to really enjoy, but next to Blood Diamond this looks like Citizen Kane. I would say Forrest Whitaker's performance is great, but he almost appears as a supporting player in his own story. So yet again a tale of Africa and Africans is seen through the eyes of a white man (Hotel Rwanda was the closest thing to an exception). I miss the old Africa of movies where white men just shot tigers and lions.

Return to Film Talk