I Served the King of England (2007) (Czech Republic)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

I Served the King of England (2007) (Czech Republic)

Postby hengcs » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:01 am

Director: Jir Menzel
Cast: Ivan Barnev, Oldrich Kaiser, Julia Jentsch, Martin Huba

The film is representing Czech Republic for Oscar 2008
It also garnered the FIPRESCI Prize at Berlin International Film Festival 2007

Synopsis
Based on the novel by Bohumil Hrabal, it traces the life of Dite from a supposedly "low class" waiter to a supposedly "much desired" millionaire, only to be hit by a "reversal of fortune" ...

My Thoughts

Two things caught me ...

(i) THE STYLE

-- It really feels like watching some of those old silent films again, except in color ... hee hee ... There are scenes that will remind you of some other films, so go spot them ...

(ii) THE HUMOR/WIT/LINES ...

-- Paradox of life ... that luck/fortune always come at his most unlucky/unfortunate moments ...

-- Irony of life ... although many aspire to be a millionaire, but when the protagonist finally gets all the money that he wants and be a millionaire, it is not a life that many would want ...

-- Many more ... about politics, about money, about survival, about s**, about entertainment, etc ... It is about man, It is about woman ... In general, it is all about the human race ...

Conclusion
Recommended, mainly for its style and sense of humor/wit. However, handling humor is always tricky, as some people might feel offended.
hengcs

Re: I Served the King of England (2007) (Czech Republic)

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:23 pm

I believe this is the first feature Menzel has made since 1994. But if you'd like to see more from him, Closely Watched Trains (1966) would be an ideal place to start.
arsaib4

Re: I Served the King of England (2007) (Czech Republic)

Postby hengcs » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:27 am

thnks for recommending
will try to catch it
hengcs

Return to Film Talk