age...just wondering how old you people are;O)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: age...just wondering how old you people are;O)

Postby katsuben » Wed Jan 31, 2001 12:11 am

probably possible to watch all foreign films one can find at a videostore in a lifetime, but try swimming through one of the larger film archives (such as tokyo). i am 25 and run a film society so i have the priveledge of acquiring films from the national archive of my country (australia). much as i love cinema i'd rather spend life living. :)
katsuben

Postby nana » Thu Feb 01, 2001 4:07 am

funkyduck---
funkyduck---
hope you are not angry with my other reply about you being snobbish. i'm sorry if i offended you. anyhow...how would one start a film society in the us? anyone with comments/know hows would be appreciated.
---nana
nana

Postby Hectate » Fri Feb 02, 2001 9:44 am

I'm quite new as well (member wise), and am an avid film lover since 4, I've really just touch the tip of Foreign film's iceberg. I'm nineteen. Youth only touches the core of what the world really is, and i'm not even in the nearest vicinity of discovering other great filmmakers out there.

I love Kurosawa, I've seen all of his films--save Sanshiro Sugata 2 (a film he dislikes and is not released in the USA because of the propaganda it carried), Drunken Angel, and the newest one before he died Madadayo. I love that guy.

And I love this website! I'm eager to see Wang Kar-Wai's new hit IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE.
Hectate

Postby nitin jagdish » Tue Feb 06, 2001 12:23 pm

this year i turn......30. i agree with the other posters; age does not determine a person's receptiveness to 'foreign' pictures. i started watching 'foreign' movies when i was seven, and if we count japanese television programming, 'foreign' influencing began when i was 4 quickly going on 5. of course, my first movie going experience [3 or so] was 'cabaret,' so let's assume that my experience is not the norm.

because i've moved around so much, there's a real rootlessness in my life. it never occurred to me think of something other than in terms of 'pleasuring' and 'not really pleasuring.' that's one reason why i've put foreign in quotes because the idea of 'foreign v. hollywood' is well, foreign.

another reason -- movies strike me as the closest thing to a universal language. theoretically, the concern about foreigness should be irrelevant. of course, as mary pickford once said, you'd think that silent movies would be where movies evolved to, not where they evolved from....

i think i've babbled enough for now.

saw imamura's 'the eel' yesterday. absolutely wonderful.
nitin jagdish

Postby nana » Thu Feb 08, 2001 4:55 am

bunny---

you are older than me and probably seen more films than me.
i'm not going to tell you anything you don't want to hear. however, i do want to make it clear that i wasn't bashing you. i simply said that form is important. it(film) is much more than entertainment, much more than plot, much more than characters, etc... it is something more...almost like religion.
---nana
nana

Postby Hectate » Thu Feb 08, 2001 11:01 am

Nit--regarding the EEL commentary.

I saw it as well--loved it--had it not for its 'climax'. Seeing that long brawl gave me a sense of the director's weariness. He, I assumed, just wanted the movie get over with--so, putting my judgement at zenith--would jsut say to the actors--IMPROVISE, LONG SHOT, GO ON WITH IT, I'M TIRED...

But the movie is nice, I just don't get whats the deal with the EEl.

What's the deal with the eel.

HA.

I saw Tarkovsky's MY NAME IS IVAN. It stanked.

:)
Hectate

Postby aguirre » Thu Feb 08, 2001 7:52 pm

I'm 27 and new to these forums. I live in a small rural town in North Carolina. The only way I can watch foreign films regularly is by renting DVD's from a website. 8 1/2 is the only foreign film I've seen on the big screen, but I've seen around 150 on video. Oh well, sometimes you really do have to suffer for art!
aguirre

Postby acquarello » Fri Feb 09, 2001 7:23 pm

Astroboy13, regarding "The Eel", are you referring to the barber shop fight with the garbage man, or the ending with the mobsters? I also mostly enjoyed the film until the end, when it seemed to go off on a Keystone Kops tangent.

At least, Imamura seems to have softened on his misanthropy and cynicism a bit. I still don't quite know what to make of the brutality of "The Ballad of Narayama", "The Insect Woman", or "Vengeance is Mine". But at least, with "The Eel" and "Dr. Akagi", he seems to be a lot moe sympathetic (aside from opening brutality of "The Eel").

acquarello
www.filmref.com
acquarello

Postby genghizkhan66 » Fri Jun 08, 2001 5:56 pm

Hi everyone

I am 35, and my first experience with Foreign film if I can remember correctly, is when I was 10 years ago unless if you consider the Asian movies I grew up with since baby time. I live in Asia and many Asian movies are very accesible.
I cant remember the name of that first foreign fim. It was a Spanish moviestarring Victoria Abril. Its a story about this woman who teaches a young soldier about kinky sex...and later on he make the young soldier murder his own girlfriend.

My favourite foreign films though...kinda touch homeground. I love period films of warriors, be they Mongolian , Chinese or Japanese. As well as period drama and dramas of the various Asian ethnicity. Thus my general group of favourite directorls includes Zhang Yimou, Akira Kurosawa, Masaki Kobayashi, Chen Kaige, Xie Fei, Nagisa Oshima...and so on.

At the moment , my top list of film I really want to see are:

A Mongolian tale
Devils at the Doorstep
Song of Tibet
Man walking on snow
East palace west palace
The emperor's shadow
Red Beard

I love sword fights , emperors, conquerors and warlords ( hehehe...can t believe those were my ancient ancestors :)).
But I am not into modern action like Ang Lee ot Kitano Takeshi.

Regards & wishes

GenghizKhan66

genghizkhan66

Postby ranger » Wed Jun 13, 2001 9:35 pm

Hello All,
I'm 57. Pretty old I guess. My intro to "Foreign Films" was mostly Ingmar Bergman's films. "Wild Strawberries" really influenced my b&w photography. (I ended up being a photographer.)

To GenghizKahn: Are the following films (your list) available with English subtitles? I've found that I really enjoy oriental films - especially Jhang Yemou's (hope I spelled that right), so now I'm always on the lookout for new films, and I haven't heard of any of these. Did you see the "Emperor and the Assassin"?
A Mongolian tale
Devils at the Doorstep
Song of Tibet
Man walking on snow
East palace west palace
The emperor's shadow
Red Beard

A note on the topic American vs. Foreign - with film makers, actors, crew, etc. working worldwide these days how foreign are foreign films with american actors, and how American are Hollywood films with foreign directors (that's been done for decades)? How about "Moulin Rouge" made in Australia? Is Nicole Kidman an American actress? Is the sole qualification for a foreign film that it be subtitled?
Living in a midwestern industrial town "foreign" means I'll have to wait to see it on video, because it will never come to a theatre near me.

I love foreign films
ranger

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk