age...just wondering how old you people are;O)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: age...just wondering how old you people are;O)

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Thu Oct 03, 2002 5:34 am

And to add to what a previous post said, this site is a really great tool to talk about foreign films with people who are truly knowledgable, because let's face it, most people don't. You gotta figure that 99.8% of people you see walking down the street each day have never heard of Fellini or Antonioni. There's, what, maybe 500-600 people on this board, and on the "Spiderman" and "Reign of Fire" websites there are more than 10,000 on their message boards. (i ain't joking) I mean, foreign films are becoming a lost breed. Despite what you may think, they are decreasing in popularity tremendously. A guy who owns a foreign videostore I knew in NY had to shut down cause he didn't make enough money. While older foreign films will never be completely obsolete, we are in the minority here people. Just because all your friends like them, the rest of the population is clueless.
bigpoppa_2059

Postby giadrc » Wed Oct 16, 2002 2:20 pm

I'm older than you but I was watching films at a much younger age than you. I think it's wrong to call them foreign, there is a difference between movies and films, no matter the country. I grew up in South America where all movies and films are from foreign countries, including the USA. Only in the States films are called foreign because there are not MADE IN THE USA. What is interesting is the eagerness of the USA film industry to become more sophisticated and capitalize in the industry of making good films. Websites like this were not possible years ago, with the new technology everything will be soon called GLOBAL, not foreign. In response to NANA who started this topic, you are a bit old and missed quite a bit, thanks to new technology you can catch up rather quickly. Good luck and happy viewing!
giadrc

Postby ygie » Wed Oct 16, 2002 9:21 pm

I am so glad we can still call this wonderful "films" foreign. Simply because it would be a shame to compare them to American films. That is the so called "blockbusters"
I will call them foreign for as long as we can. Hopefully some day they will be recognized with the respect that they deserve here in the USA.
ygie

Previous

Return to Film Talk