Lust Caution (Se Jie) (Taiwan) (2007)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Lust Caution (Se Jie) (Taiwan) (2007)

Postby hengcs » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:08 am

Director: Lee Ang
Cast: Tony Leung, Joan Chen, Tang Wei, Wong Lee Hom,

The trailer

Re: Lust Caution (Se Jie) (Taiwan) (2007)

Postby trevor826 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:02 pm

I've tried several links for the trailer but none of them have worked.

What I did find quite funny is that U.K online dvd retailer Bensons-World have got slightly ahead of themselves with dvd details already listed - Lust Caution info.

Cheers Trev.

Postby hengcs » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:04 am

The link is gone ... sigh
But youtube still has it ...

Postby trevor826 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:30 am

Thank's hengcs, the trailers looking good.

Cheers Trev.

Postby hengcs » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:29 am

congrats ...
it garnered 2 awards in Venice!

Postby hengcs » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:37 pm

I have gotten the tickets for myself and friends ...

I have sms-ed others to watch too ...

My only "sigh" ... the version we r watching is the EDITED China version ... not becos of the censor board ... but the distributor has opted for the NC16 version ... more ticket sales for them?! ...

Anyway, I do not feel like posting my upset here, but you may read more abt my "analysis" in

Postby hengcs » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:10 am

Finally, I have watched the film ...
but the edited China version

After watching the EDITED version ...
you may ask:
Is there anything that is LOST ...
IMHO, yes yes yes ... very very very unfortunately ...

I will try to EXPLAIN when I have the time
(maybe during lunch time, maybe later in the day)

Postby hengcs » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:09 am

In case you are waiting ... I APOLOGIZE ...
Actually, I have already written my views about what I think is lost ...
I have also talked to my good friend about it today ...

(1) What is lost ...
My friend convinced me that even if my conjectures were correct,
my case would be more compelling if I had watched the unedited version.
Hence, I apologize that I would like to procrastinate my posting on what have been LOST ...

Frankly, a review of the EDITED version would NOT do the film justice ...
So, I shall refrain from a review of the EDITED version too ...

(2) Appreciation by the East vs the West
IMHO, the film can be better appreciated by the Chinese community rather than the Western community ... at least the reviews from online/newspappers seem to reflect this too ... most Chinese media give a majority POSITIVE review, whereas the Western media (at least in United States) tend to give a more divisive view, with some claiming it be excellent and others claiming it to be boring ... (mainly blaming the slow pace and lack of plot) ...

I personally think the Chinese appreciate it differently because of cultural and linguistic differences ...
e.g., there are several great lines/puns/nuances/subtlety delivered ... I would have to rewatch to remember all, but here is a few (not exhaustive) ...

(a) The title, "Se Jie" (Lust Caution)
... "Jie" also means the ring ...
... the wedding ring that makes and breaks everything ...

(b) The game of mahjong
... (some critics claim that it drags down the intro);
however, it is an impt intro to the entire film (i.e., both culturally and thematically) ... why?!
apart from being the favorite past time of these ladies in those period, it is also a game of
... skill vs luck (plotting vs opportunity)
... short term sacrifice over long term victory
... monitoring vs being monitored
... calculating, pretending, deceiving, etc ...

(b) Beginning conversation ... "Chi Chu" (eating vinegar), "Chi Dou Fu" (eating tofu)
... the former also means to be jealous
... the latter also means to take advantage of woman

(c) Ending conversation ... "Bu Chi La De Zhe Me Hu De Chu La Zi" ... (refering to eating hot spicy Hunan dishes) (the last line delivered) ...
Allow my freedom with interpretation/expression, it could also mean if you dare not take risk/chance with life, how can you gain/succeed?

(3) Black Book (Netherlands) vs Lust Caution (Taiwan)
Apart from a slight similarity (i.e., getting close and sleeping with the enemy during times of war), I think it is rather unwise/unfair to compare Black Book with this film. why?

-- I humbly think the former does "thrill/chill" as a plot driven film ... i.e., the soundtrack and the pacing is very captivating (esp. if you are more accustomed to watching Hollywood kind of thriller)

-- The latter however thrives and succeeds in bringing out the complexity in humans, emotions and events ... instead of plot driven, it is more concerned about various issues ... from the personal to the political ... in particular, I think it probes one to think ...
aren't MANY THINGS in life rather GRAY
(i.e., they are not as clear cut as you want it to be) ...

e.g., love or lust?
e.g., heaven or hell?
e.g., prey or predator? * the line is thin *
e.g., personal or patriotism?
e.g., power or politics?
e.g., control or controlled?
e.g., rational or emotional?
e.g., male vs female?

Postby chard09 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:24 am

A Lesson in Aeronautics in Ang Lee's Lust, Caution (2007)

Original Title: Se, Jie
Directed by Ang Lee
Cast: Tony Leung Chiu-Wai, Tang Wei, Lee-Hom Wang, Joan Chen
Based on Eileen Changs short story
Winner of 2007 Venice Film Festivals Golden Lion

To think that his name consists only of six letters five to be exact Ang Lee has now placed his signature, above all the rest and no matter how uneven, in the blazing pages of auteur cinema. After Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (arguably the most popular Chinese film of all time), Brokeback Mountain (an essential work in the western genre), and several Hollywood productions in between, Lee is back, fiery and sumptuous, bringing home his second Golden Lion in three years, with an espionage thriller that surfaces with razor-sharp mastery, filmed exquisitely by Rodrigo Prieto in such splendor reminiscent of a golden age.

The mahjong scenes that set the pace of Lust, Caution at the beginning is defiantly crucial: without the intrinsic atmosphere of boredom that one gets while coping with the deliberate camera movement and fast-changing subtitles, the emotional upheaval that builds from fury to lust would have been less striking. Likewise, the war seems not to be taking place and every detail shown to intensify its presence makes it feel less threatening, transitory, and to put it more precisely: the war is taking place elsewhere but not in Shanghai. This dreamlike supposition, which of course would be opposed by anyone basing it on history, is singularly impressive, as most films that relate to war would use this backdrop to heighten, or in some cases lengthen, their narratives to create an evil justified by blood and ammunitions.

The explicit sexual intercourse a fantastic series of acrobatics, an Olympic display of arduous but definitely pleasurable calisthenics, the closest reach to seventh heaven is the most integral part of the film. The controversy that arises from it is purely expected, at least we realize were still in this world, but the impact it creates, as if its not the first time we see pubic hairs, erect nipples, moans, lip-biting, silent orgasms, and vehement to and fro pelvic exercises, is phenomenal. Catherine Breillats, Gaspar Nos, Michael Winterbottoms, and several films that feature unsimulated sex are mostly European, with the possible exception of the most notorious of them all: Nagisa Oshimas In The Realm of the Senses. Of course this assertion demands further analysis but somehow it is conclusive that Europeans are more inclined and more liberated to film sex than Asians. But the difference, the very unmistakable difference, is the way they are staged admit it, the sensuality in Lust, Caution is felt a thousand-fold more than Romance or Rape Me the reason why it will attain a status of classic vulnerability that other films never take into consideration.

Tang Wei is alluring: her nipples having a rare standing ovation, her beautiful forest of armpit hairs, her childlike sensuality, her eyes that roll with fear, her pubis that moves seamlessly everything about her radiates with passion she resembles an engine working perfectly, running the longest mile around the suburbs of desire and lust. She is an epitome of sinful simplicity, a lost kite of trapped loneliness falling relentlessly.

Lust, Caution is apolitical. Contrary to Zhang Yimou and Chen Kaiges conscious aversion (at least during their early years, and the fairest of their collaborations is Kaiges Yellow Earth, shot in immense austerity by Yimou) and Wong Kar-wais political apathy, Lee stands in between, which contributes to the apparent mainstream appeal of his works. As Chinese history has the most diverse account of politics everything about it in the world, and its people that seem to co-exist with their past, it is rather difficult to film emotions that harbor not in history but in humanity itself a feat that Lust, Caution delivers.

Tony Leung looks older in age but not in talent. His stone face, his intergalactic stare, his elegiac gestures he embodies a Martian for reasons I still cannot decipher. When he mentions that If you pay attention, nothing is trivial, he glows with vigor, a bursting mix of vibrance and suave that can only come from an icon, and he surely is.

Must be the sheer popularity particularly to Western audience Lee reminds me of Akira Kurosawa during his glorious years of immense recognition. In this light, I would like to express an analogy that only fools like myself would believe: almost ten years after completing his Rashomon, Ang Lee, now, in a stunning piece of work, presents his Seven Samurai, bustling, running, in an aeronautic battle. If you are still wondering what that mysterious closure of Days of Being Wild means, with Tony Leung combing his vaselined hair in his usual gesture, preparing himself for a night out, then think no further. This is where he goes with Wong Chia Chi to spend a feisty evening, in rage.

Postby hengcs » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:16 am

very well written

great news:
singapore is screening the uncensored version this week!
* clap *

-- the distributors finally understood the sentiments of singaporeans ...

-- also, the censors deserve an applause for NOT censoring at all
* clap *

Return to Film Talk