Sepet (2004); Gubra (2006); Mukhsin (2007); Muallaf (2008) (Malaysia)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Sepet (2004); Gubra (2006); Mukhsin (2007); Muallaf (2008) (Malaysia)

Postby hengcs » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:32 pm

Director: Yasmin Ahmad
Cast: Mohd Syafie Naswip, Sharifah Aryana

The film garnered Deutsches Kinderhilfswerk Grand Prix and Glass Bear - Special Mention in Berlin International Film Festival 2007

The director had 2 other films previously
-- Sepet
-- Gubra

Meanwhile, you may go to her blog

The Making of Mukhsin, Part 1: The poem that influenced the flavour of the film.

The Making of Mukhsin, Part 2: The memories that shaped the structure of the story.

The Making of Mukhsin, Part 3: The flavour of green tea over rice.

PS: well …
since we do not have many films from Malaysia on this board,
I will try to write this over the next two days …

(I think we only have
-- The Last Communist
-- Princess of Mount Ledang (gone when ezboard revamped))

Re: Sepet (2004); Gubra (2006); Mukhsin (2007); Muallaf (2008) (Malaysia)

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:12 am

Pusan: French distributor Les Films du Preau has acquired all rights to Yasmin Ahmad's Mukhsin, making it the first Malaysian film ever to be sold to France.

Postby hengcs » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:22 am

The following posts were "moved" from the thread on The Beautiful Washing Machine

Originally posted by arsaib4 (9/18/07 11:13 pm)

Have you seen any films by Ho Yuhang and Yasmin Ahmad?

Originally posted by hengcs (9/20/07 1:00 am)

i have watched films by Yasmin Ahmad.
-- Sepet ... (i told my friend when we were in the DVD shop, and he immediately bought the DVD becos it seems to tell of his story, a Chinese man in relationship with a Malay girl)
-- Gubra
-- Mukhsin ... (the director was even in attendance on her own)

The last of the trilogy is actually the "prequel" to the other two. I thought the young girl looks like the older girl in the first two films ... Guess what, I later realize these girl are actually sisters in real life ...

as for films by Ho Yuhang
-- i have the DVD for Rain Dogs,

but as usual, i have NO time to watch ...

Originally posted by arsaib4 (9/22/07 8:06 pm)

Hey, that's good to hear. I bet Sepet didn't go over particularly well with the authorities.

The film I'm most interested in however is Ho's Rain Dogs. I've considered purchasing it on a couple of occasions but I'd still like to know more about it. Please share your thoughts if you get an opportunity to watch the DVD.

Originally posted by hengcs (9/24/07 12:49 am)

In Singapore, we advocate racial harmony ...

So, I think all 3 films were okay with the local authorities ...
anyway, just to be doubly sure, I will verify whether there is any edited scenes ...

Sepet - to be verified
Gubra - Passed without cut(s)
Mukhsin - Passed without cut(s)

Her NEW film "Muallaf" also has controversy

And I have just realized that I used to have a post on her in THIS board ...

Originally posted by arsaib4 (9/24/07 6:30 pm)

I meant more in terms of a reaction rather than actual cuts, though that also qualifies. Thanks for the link; the article certainly sheds some light on the situation. I'll add Mukhsin to the index. You could perhaps add a few comments when you have some free time.

Originally posted by hengcs (9/24/07 8:07 pm)

Because I was in US when Sepet was screened in Singapore,
other Singaporeans have informed me that ...
Sepet - Passed without cut(s)

Postby hengcs » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:27 am

The poster of controversial film Muallaf

The synopsis of Muallaf (i.e., possible spoilers)

Postby hengcs » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:58 pm

I have watched the trilogy over the weekend.
- Sepet
- Gubra
- Mukhsin

The director was there for all three films.

- Sepet
Comments: the best amongst the three films ... in particular, the ending is gonna make many talk. It is a film about "possibilities" rather than highlight the "challenges" that are prevalent in many inter racial relationships. Yet, it is not true that one cannot sense its impossibilities ... the plot, the lines may give some of that away ... is the film great? well, if at the end of the film, you are rooting for the couple to be an item, the director has bought you over regarding this inter racial relationship ... however, if at the end of the film, you are not rooting for them to be an item, what can we say?!

- Gubra
Comments: the sequel to Sepet ... the most ambitious of the three films ... there is another parallel story (abt a prostitute) ... you may choose to believe that both stories are disconnected or there is a link ... after all, the director does not seek to make them meet/coincide in any scene ... as usual, although the director claims not to have intentionally make controversial films ... but with the story involving religion and race ... some scenes are gonna make people talk ...

- Mukhsin
Comments: the prequel to Sepet ... the most consistent of the three films (in terms of mood and style) ... hmmm ... a more subtle film, a film that makes you reminisce about the past or the good old days ... maybe the "coy" asians (or the artsy audience) will prefer this film better ... it has also interesting takes on the "cycle" of life ... the young cast is great ... so is the caning scene ... ha ha ha

PS: you will see the two protagonists in Sepet appearing in ALL three films ... worth thinking why ...
* possible spoiler *
maybe the director wants them to be together ...
so, in Gubra, they reunite at the end ...
so, in Mukhsin, they even have a kid together ...
* end of possible spoiler *

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:01 am

... maybe the "coy" asians (or the artsy audience) will prefer this film better...

Postby justindeimen » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:17 am

I also agree that the first film is probably the best of the three. One minor complaint I have with Ahmad's films is that her films always seem so self-conscious of their "cinematicism" and are always in search of that "authentic" moment in a film. It does tend to make me feel like I'm watching a director still trying to discover something heartfelt and original rather than regurgitating what could be memorable moments films that she might have seen or paying tribute to her favourite directors. I'm not sure if I'm making much sense but what I'm basically trying to say is that I get the sense that some of her genuine moments feel forced and made to order. It's all in the framing I guess, it feels like it's being "presented" to me rather than just being an organic part of the film, which is still no doubt personal to any director. That would really have to be my primary problem with her trilogy of films, that while I like, I never seem to be able to adore.

The reason I have these concerns, particularly for these films and not many others is that, films like these seem so ethereal in a sense and straddle lines of consciousness and dreamlike idealism while shuffling it with political resonance so they are more delicate than usual.

Postby hengcs » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:47 am

Muallaf will be screening in Singapore commencing this Thursday.
I will give you a review soon.
It is controversial again.

Postby hengcs » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:56 pm

I have just watched Muallaf ...
The director and all the main cast are here in Singapore

Will write more soon ...

Return to Film Talk