Cyrano's Love Letters

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Cyrano's Love Letters

Postby hengcs » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:50 am

hi to all

(1) i cant recall, but what is the movie(s) (i think there could be several versions) ... whereby the guy asked another man (who is a better writer) to write love letters on his behalf ... can you PLEASE name the movie(s) for me ... and what are the endings like ...?

(2) this may be a BIG favor ... i would really appreciate if anyone could do it ... if you happen to have the video or DVD ... would you mind just capturing 1 to 2 minutes of the clip when he asked the man to do so and email me?

GREATLY appreciated ...

Re: Cyrano's Love Letters

Postby wpqx » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:52 am

Sounds like Cyranno de Bergerac, but slightly modified. I do however know of a French film that was very specifically like this, but I can't recall the name of it either.

Postby jcdavies » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:38 pm

Sounds like Il Postino with Philippe Noiret as exiled poet Pablo Neruda helping friendly Italian postman chat up the village beauty in a more poetic + enticing manner

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:10 am

hengcs: Are you thinking of certain films you can't fully recall at the moment, or do you simply want us to name the ones in which that occurs?

I like the choices above. There are numerous film versions of Rostand's play about Cyrano.

William Dieterle's Love Letters (1945) features a similar set-up. And I've come across at least a couple of Bollywood melodramas that do also.

Postby A » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:28 pm

Roxanne (1987) with Steve Martin is another take on Cyrano.
As arsaib pointed out, there are really dozens of films featuring such a scene.

Postby hengcs » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:30 am

just want to say THANKS to all ...
i just needed an example ... preferably of a clip ... in a presentation ...

now that it is over ... i can delete this thread ...
would you ppple want to keep it?

Postby A » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:32 pm

No, no, we can keep it. You could just edit the title of the post. Maybe something like Cyrano's Love Letters

I hope your presentation was successful, btw.

Return to Film Talk