2 Sons of Francisco (2 Filhos de Francisco) (2005) (Brazil)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

2 Sons of Francisco (2 Filhos de Francisco) (2005) (Brazil)

Postby hengcs » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:48 am

Director: Breno Silveira
Cast: ngelo Antnio, Dablio Moreira, Marcos Henrique, Dira Paes, Mrcio Kieling, Thiago Mendona

Not only was this film Brazil's submission to Oscar 2006, but also it broke the box office record for the past 25 years ...

Synopsis
The film tells the story of the successful country music duo Zez Di Camargo & Luciano from their birth to the present days (i.e., in 2005) ...

My thoughts

-- Well, it is tough for me to comment on this film. But to be fair, I would say, there are 3 aspects that I like, and 2 aspects that I do not.

I like it for
(i) its VERY meaningful songs, not just 1 but 2 or 3 (very touching indeed); I guess I could listen to them again ... hee hee ... esp. "O dia em que eu sair de casa (The day I left home)" and "E o Amor (It is love)" ... wow ...
(ii) three particular scenes, 2 are touching, and 1 is shocking ... * no spoilers here *
(iii) a more compelling 1st half of the film (i.e., their younger days), even though it gets a while to be engaging ...

I thought it could be better on the following ...
(i) somehow, the film does not grip sufficiently; IMHO, I feel that it is "inconsistent" in terms of its overall quality ... there are scenes that are really good, but a number of other scenes simply feel inadequate ... most impt of all, I think the 2nd half (i.e., their adult days) is kind of weak ... it is a bit out of sync with the 1st half, and it is not well developed ...
(ii) i recall that the film did not explain how Emival learned to play the guitar, although it did feature how Mirosmar learned the harmonica ...

Conclusion
Watch it and decide for yourself.

Regardless, I think we should applaud the film for its awesome songs which are VERY meaningful ... and with the story, the lyrics mean even more ...

PS: Some synopsis does give away the SHOCK in the film ... read at your perils ...
hengcs

Re: 2 Sons of Francisco (2 Filhos de Francisco) (2005) (Brazil)

Postby hengcs » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:55 am

I can't believe this
I am watching the film again, BUT now on a BIG screen ...

PS: If you are a singaporean reading this, you would like to know that this film has replaced Pel Eterno in the current Brazilian Film Fest.
hengcs

Return to Film Talk