Komornik (The Collector) (2005) (Poland)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Komornik (The Collector) (2005) (Poland)

Postby hengcs » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:41 am

Director: Feliks Falk
Cast: Andrzej Chyra

This film was submitted by Poland to Oscar 2007.
It also won Prize of the Ecumenical Jury at Berlin Film Festival 2006.

My thoughts

-- The acting. Well, I thought the lead actor manages to pull off convincingly ... as one debt collector who simply feels that he is right and the law is on his side.

* possible spoilers *

-- The plot.

(i) The opening was great ... but later, it got a bit "repetitive" trying to drive across how uncaring or ruthless the debt collector was ... IMHO, it would be better if the director could add more bits to "justify" his acts, i.e., if the debt collector wasn't as firm or harsh, there would be no way the institution would survive ... by doing so, it would give the character even more depth and more justification towards his beliefs (i.e., assumed "righteousness") ...

(ii) The second half was more interesting as we witnessed an incident that would trigger a change of mind and heart ... wow ... however, it did feel a bit too abrupt and extreme ... fortunately, it was salvaged by the fact that although the main protagonist was willing to be a better man, the rest of the world was unwilling to admit his help ... an interesting script which provoked thoughts because the world is not simply painted as good people vs bad people ... the original victims now took on a "nastier" side as they were depicted to be less than "magnanimous" or "forgiving" (i.e., against what we would like them to be) ... it was a pity that the film soon ended, it should have been developed more ...

Deserve a watch.

Return to Film Talk