Soldiers of Salamina (Soldados de Salamina) (2003) (Spain)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Soldiers of Salamina (Soldados de Salamina) (2003) (Spain)

Postby hengcs » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:29 am

Director: David Trueba
Cast: Ariadna Gil, Ramon Fontser, Joan Dalmau, Diego Luna

Synopsis
The film tells the story of an uninspired writer/teacher/journalist who has recently taken an assignment to write about Rafael Sanchez Mazas. Apparently, during a massacre in the Civil War, the latter was saved by "Friends of the Forest". She is curious about what went through the mind of this soldier, who had chosen to let him go ... will she find this "hero"?
hengcs

Re: Soldiers of Salamina (Soldados de Salamina) (2003) (Spain)

Postby trevor826 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:24 pm

hengcs, I know this is going back a bit but since you wrote the initial post I assume you've seen it. What was your overall impression, good, bad or indifferent.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Re: Soldiers of Salamina (Soldados de Salamina) (2003) (Spain)

Postby hengcs » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:44 pm

Luckily you reminded me ...
But regretably, I have forgotten much about it ...

I recall vaguely that my "expectations" were probably wrong to begin with ... it wasn't exactly a "war" film or "soldiers" (i.e., military) kind of film ... hence, one would not really learn the details of the Spanish Civil War from this film ... it is more about humanity and "heroism" (interestingly articulated/defined eventually) ...

i.e., In war, there are no heroes, only victims ...

I recall that the pacing wasn't as intense as I had hoped ... Nonetheless, many of us would still be keen to know how the film would end, with the impending meeting of the writer and the "hero" who might have spare and save the poet's life ...

PS: The speech at the end is rather down to earth and touching ... definitely food for thoughts ...
hengcs

Return to Film Talk