Black Book (Zwartboek) (2006) (Netherlands)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Black Book (Zwartboek) (2006) (Netherlands)

Postby hengcs » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:24 am

Director: Paul Verhoeven
Cast: Carice van Houten, Sebastian Koch, Thom Hoffman

This film was submitted by Netherlands to Oscar 2007.
It made it to the final 9.

Synopsis
This film follows the escape of a Jewish singer, Rachel Stein, and her subsequent involvement with the resistance group. As the story unfolds, it is compounded with lots of trust and betrayal ...

My thoughts

-- A point that I like after watching the entire film ...
Food for thought: Even when the war has presumably ended, has it really ended?
PS: I thought the film ended VERY well ... * watch it again *

-- Well, I feel like watching an intense Hollywood film except with a European cast ... ... Admittedly, in terms of story/plot, one has to credit it for its numerous surprises, peppered with twists and turns ... rather than claiming it is a film about war, it comes across more as a film about trust and betrayal set in World War II ... Apart from being rather suspenseful, the film is also rather dramatic ... Many people are killed and many people are tortured ... sigh ...

-- With rgds to the accuracy of the film, I would rather leave it to the historians. Who am I to comment?!
But from a moviegoer point of view, it is definitely worth a watch ...

Conclusion
Highly recommended, mainly for its intensity. Only if you are going for a plot driven film ...
hengcs

Re: Black Book (Zwartboek) (2006) (Netherlands)

Postby trevor826 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:57 am

I've heard quite a few positive comments for Black Book but haven't taken the plunge yet, (the dvd is sat awaiting inspection), so this is more Hollywood glossy style Verhoeven rather than the more down to earth approach of his earlier films, that's a shame but no big surprise I guess.

I'll give a try when I can fit it in, b.t.w. one of my guilty pleasures is a Hollywood Verhoeven film, Starship Troopers (1997).

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby hengcs » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:02 am

I enjoyed it nonetheless.
Watch out for the ending scene ...
should the world be happy or sad?!
hengcs

Postby hengcs » Sun May 18, 2008 3:25 am

now in singapore
hengcs

Return to Film Talk