Short Takes: Turkey / Central Asia

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Short Takes: Turkey / Central Asia

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:13 am

In this thread I'll be adding brief reviews of Turkish and *Central Asian films. Please feel free to do the same. If a film gets revisited in detail (either by me or anyone else), then an individual film thread will be started.

*Central Asia: Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, and Tajikistan.

INDEX (in order reviewed)

Page 1 :

ANGEL ON THE RIGHT [Tajikistan] (Jamshed Usmonov / 2002)
CLIMATES [Turkey] (Nuri Bilge Ceylan / 2006)

Please visit our Asian and European film indexes for more links.

Re: Short Takes: Turkey / Central Asia

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:43 am

ANGEL ON THE RIGHT (Tajikistan / 2002)

The title of the film, Angel on the Right (Fararishtay Kifti Rost), is derived from an Islamic law which states that every human being has two angels, one of each shoulder, who document the good and the bad deeds to be interpreted on judgment day. So, with that in mind, it becomes obvious early on that one of the angels on our protagonist, Hamro (played with brooding intensity by Maruf Pulodzoda who looks like an extra from a Guy Ritchie flick), hasnt been doing much work lately since we learn that this ex-con has just spent 10 years in a Moscow prison for murder, and has also been involved with drugs in the past. But, as he makes his way back towards the remote, poverty-stricken village in Tajikistan, he doesnt realize that hes being duped by his mother (Uktamoi Miyasarova) and the local villagers (including a tyrant of a mayor) into coming back so he can pay off his numerous debts. Directed by Jamshed Usmonov, a Tajik who is most famous for playing the lead in Darezhan Omirbayev's The Road (2001), Angel on the Right is a relatively minor parable in every sense, although, its not without its pleasures. Along with examining a couple of interesting relationships, Usmonov often livens up his bleak milieu with dry humor and by introducing some wicked local customs: one of whom involves a barbaric hand-shake (Tourist Warning: Dont try to bargain!). Eventually, Hamro comes across his son (Kova Tilavpur), possibly a product of his past relationship with a local prostitute, and develops sexual feelings for a beautiful young nurse (Malohat Maqsumova). But, for the most part, Usmonov wisely refuses to redeem this selfish and materialistic man. A political reading of this rare film from Tajikistan might render it even more important, because as the director said, "[It] reflects the problems of present-day Tajik society, which is facing profound social and political upheavals and a seven-year civil war. The main character Hamro is the product of these events." If I were to decipher my opinion using the films titular logic, then Id say that there's definitely more good here than bad.

*ANGEL ON THE RIGHT premiered at the 2002 Cannes Film Festival (Un Certain Regard).

*Available on DVD in the U.S. (First Run Features) and the U.K. (Tartan).

Postby trevor826 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:12 am

Good idea, most of the central Asian countries have a low output of films (at least in terms of what is actually available). I don't think I have many but I'll certainly try and add something, the only one I can think of (apart from Angel on the Right) is Vodka Lemon. What countries will this thread cover as I may have others but am unsure?

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:44 am

Turkey, along with such cinematic hothods as Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, and Tadjikistan (Central Asia as defined by those nations). No, there isn't much available right now but hopefully that will change in the near future. Please contribute to this thread if you can. (I believe Vodka Lemon is Armenian.)

What did you think of Angel on the Right? Director Jamshed Usmonov's new film, To get to Heaven First You Have to Die, is scheduled for Toronto, so I'll try to fit it into my timetable.
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:53 pm

Sorry I thought it would include Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Uzbekistan, Georgia plus of course, Turkey.

I'll have to re-watch "Angel on the Right" as it's been a while.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby A » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:49 pm

Like Trevor, it seems I've learned an important geography lesson.
I have "Angel on my Right" on Tape, but haven't watched it yet, and I missed Schizo at a local film festival. However, I saw Beshkempir two or three months ago, and it was an impressive film. It will be interesting to see which films we will be able to assemble in this thread.
A

Postby hengcs » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:59 am

hi arsaib4,
do you want to move turkey out of this thread, to the european thread?
climates is not found here
hengcs

Return to Film Talk