Middle Eastern Magic

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Middle Eastern Magic

Postby wpqx » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:47 am

Watched The House is Black (1972) as well as Mohsen Makhmalbaf's The School That Was Blown Away. I'm having a problem finding the year of Makhmalbaf's film, but both are rather intimate non-fiction films about seldom shown subjects. The House is Black is well regarded as a landmark in Iranian cinema, which is all about life in a leper colony, where everyone has some extreme deformity. The film is very confrontational and as the prologue says, forces you to notice this. Makhmalbaf's film is rather low-key and not about much, its really too short to carry much weight.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:07 am

1997 is the year listed on Makhmalbaf's site.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:03 am

I saw '96 as well. The DVD also includes his short film Qajar Dynasty (1993). This second film is half Svankmajer and half end of Andrei Rublev. Simply a look at photographs, but occasionally animated and broke apart. I'd highly recommend the Facets release of The House is Black, which in addition to these three short films, features an interview and several articles about the filmmakers, including one from Jonathan Rosenbaum.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:16 am

And Chris Marker. The House is Black is one of the greatest Iranian films I've ever seen
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:31 am

Kinda makes me want to go on an Iranian kick, but good lord I have so many movies I want to see, and so many different cycles of films to go through, I fear I'll develop cinematic schizophrenia.
wpqx

Postby JPaulie » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:47 pm

ive been looking high and low for Turtles can fly

anyone seen 'Paradise Now' ?? Palestinian film, I loved it, it questions what suicide bombers go through before actually doing it, and what leads them to do it, and the cast is amazing! One of my favourite films!!
JPaulie

Postby hengcs » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:48 am

Isnt it on DVD?

PS: welcome onto this board ...
hengcs

Previous

Return to Film Talk