After the Wedding (2006) (Denmark)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

After the Wedding (2006) (Denmark)

Postby justindeimen » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:00 pm

After the Wedding

Sweet sorrow permeates through Susanne Bier's Oscar nominated "After the Wedding", a quietly testing film that tepidly breaks free from the shackles of the Dogme manifestoes to deliver an incredibly subtle celebration of family. Paternal pacification is as good a reason as any to explore with overwhelming and eloquent sentimentality when Jacob (Mads Mikkelsen) is arm-twisted into returning to his native Denmark to seek out funds for his orphanage's young charges in India. He meets with the seemingly magnanimous Jorgen (Rolf Lassgard, filling the screen with his sheer presence), a millionaire that invites him to his daughter's wedding and in the process sets the wheels of redemption into motion. Bier's most prominent work thus far is also her most joyous when she bravely evokes the goodness in her characters, working the circumstances to peel away the layers of tacit human desires and destructive pride. Blessed with superlative performances across the board, a particularly inspired turn by Mikkelsen serves as Bier's dramatic lynchpin for her film's gentle twists and turns. But even its sudsy plot developments work well in Bier's kinetic and expertly crafted dreamworld, which despite its otherworldly state still manages to disclose the bare and conspicuous design of mortality and compassion.

Rating: 4 out of 5
justindeimen

Re: After the Wedding (2006) (Denmark)

Postby trevor826 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:25 pm

After the Wedding should be in the Chapter till next Friday, I tried to purchase a ticket for it today but found out that the film hasn't even turned up yet!

I'm still hoping there's a chance it'll turn up by Tuesday at the latest.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:44 pm

Unfortunately, After the Wedding was a no show. Thankfully this is a very rare occurance, hopefully I'll be able to catch it on dvd sometime.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby hengcs » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:17 pm

What happened?
hengcs

Postby trevor826 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:38 am

I've no idea as yet, I'll try and find out when I go to see Orchestra Seats today.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Return to Film Talk