Huang Jin Jia (Curse of The Golden Flower) (2006) (China/HK)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Huang Jin Jia (Curse of The Golden Flower) (2006) (China/HK)

Postby trevor826 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:52 pm

More incestuous than a Borgia family reunion, more colourful than an explosion in a paint factory and bloodier than Caligula.

Zhang Yimou takes everything to excess including more cleavage than any other Chinese film you're ever likely to see, the words lurid, garish and gaudy could have been invented for this film, it makes most Bollywood productions look sublime in comparison.

A plot that (despite hengcs's comment) feels like it's been ripped from Greek, Roman or Shakespearian tragedies, acted with greatest of exuberance by Gong Li et al.

If I'd gone into this expecting any sort of reality based drama I'd be shredding it to pieces, as it is, it was exactly as I expected, though unlike some, I prefered the subterfuge of the first half to the all out crescendo of battle and slaughter that fills the majority of the second half.

Definitely one for the big screen, just take your popcorn and leave your brain at home.

Cheers Trev.

Postby wpqx » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:42 pm

I loved it honestly, but sometimes its nice not to think.

Postby trevor826 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:31 am

While watching Curse of The Golden Flower, I couldn't help but wonder what on earth is this going to look like on T.V. I should think that even if you had a large high definition set the colour range and overall scale could look pretty messy.

I saw it with one of my sons and both of us unknowingly drew the same parallels with Gong Li and Monica Bellucci. I can't remember the exact quote but it was to do with filming The Passion of the Christ where someone noted that it didn't matter how messy or dirty Monica was, she still radiated beauty, that is also very true of Gong Li, even at her most distressed, she was still gorgeous.

The girl who played Chan (the doctor's daughter) reminded me of the lovely Xun Zhou, Suzhou River, Beijing Bicycle both very similar facially.

Spoiler Alert

Re: the incest, I had to stifle a laugh way ahead of any denouement, simply because it was so obvious where the story was heading.

The nastiest part without a doubt had to be when Ping beat his son to death with his belt............. .

End of spoiler

Cheers Trev.

Return to Film Talk