a few good indian films

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: a few good indian films

Postby IndianSummer » Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:47 pm

Dizzy_Bird, you forgot to mention Satyajit Ray's final masterpiece: Agantuk (the stranger). The movie is a surreal in it's own right, but when you think about it from the point of view that Ray could only shoot the whole movie in a studio (on his doctor's orders) and also his own failing health, the Stranger has to rank among the best of ray's genius at work.

and btw, 'bombay talie' is an ismail merchant and james ivory production. it was not directed by satyajit ray. also, salaam bombay was directed by mira nair and the home and the world was directed by bimal roy.

IndianSummer

Postby IndianSummer » Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:56 pm

desifilms, zubeidaa is a good film, but listing it as an indian 'classic' might be stretching it a little too far...

and 'dil se' and 'bombay' being classics?? please, good movies should remain that. good movies only. if we go about crowning every 'good' movie as a 'classic', we would be demeaning the true masterpieces.

your list of 'classic' films also has a notable absence of some of the finest movies ever made: jaagte raho (raj kapoor), khamoshi (sunil dutt), do beegha zameen (bimal roy)...

i know you added 'tons more' to your list, but it seems like a sacrilage to an indian movie loony to see movies farless deserving than stuff like charulata, teen kanya, agantuk, apu, english august, heat and dust be listed as the 'best indian movies'.
IndianSummer

Postby nina* » Sat Aug 23, 2003 10:13 pm

Desifilms: "My son the fanatic" and "East is East" aren't Indian movies!they're British!
nina*

Postby dixie » Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:16 pm

I love Indian films.
You must not forget the director Deepa Mehtas who did Earth and the controversial (in India it was banned) Fire.

For fun there is Monsoon Wedding by Mira Nair.
dixie

Postby IndianSummer » Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:29 am

some correction:

dixe, Fire was never banned in India. it was banned in the state of maharashtra (with bombay) but it was never banned in the rest of the 25 indian states.

it was controvertial no doubt, but it was also a big commercial success. movie plazas ran full for months in new delhi and calcutta...because fire was playing.
IndianSummer

Postby gratefultiger » Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:22 am

Where in bloody hell can i get the films of guru dutt,
i have been after a subtitled "Pyaasa" for donkey"s years!
gratefultiger

Postby IndianSummer » Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:22 pm

Pyaasa (the thirst) is a brilliant masterpiece. i've seen the movie thrice in four years and every time i watch it, it moulds itself to reveal new meanings and nuances...

Kagaz ke Phool (the paper flowers) is another Guru Dutt masterpiece.

i don't know about outside india, but in india you can order Guru Dutt DVDs at thousands of shopes throughout the country. they can also be ordered through http://planetmonline.com
and
http://www.easybuystore.com/filmindex.html

i don't think these sites ship outside india. guess your only hope is to get them if and when you or one of your friend travels to india.

a pity...
IndianSummer

Postby kcpuden1 » Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:15 am

Kaagaz Ke Phool is available at Amazon.co.uk. I just put it on my wish list.
kcpuden1

Postby gratefultiger » Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:56 pm

Thanks indian summer it just so happens i have a friend going to india in a couple of weeks so i will work on it ..cheers
gratefultiger

Previous

Return to Film Talk