Nada Sou Sou (Tears For You) (Japan) (2006)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Nada Sou Sou (Tears For You) (Japan) (2006)

Postby hengcs » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:28 am

Director: Nobuhiro Doi
Cast: Satoshi Tsumabuki, Masami Nagasawa

The official site (with a number of spoilers)
see
www.festivefilms.com/sousou/
or
www.nada-so.jp/intro.html

Synopsis:
It tells of the bond and relationship between a brother and his "sister" who has come to stay with him to attend high school and subsequently college ...

Selling points ...

-- Both the actor (Satoshi Tsumabuki) and the actress (Masami Nagasawa ) were nominated for their leading roles at the Japanese Academy Awards 2007 ... yup, they really come across as typical young pple who are just next to you and i ... * clap *

-- If you do not understand the lyrics of the very popular Japanese song "Nada Sou Sou" (also translated into Chinese song with a different set of lyrics) ... you will finally get to see a translation of the song at the end ... and predictably, most audience (ALL during the screening i attended) will stay till the end ... and to those who are NOT used to watching end credits ... THERE IS ONE MORE SCENE at the end (after ALL the end credits) ...

PS: here's the song (without translation) at youtube ...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=V...ed&search=

-- Another seldom mentioned person ... a well crafted supporting role with very little screen time ... but noteworthy ... i.e., the lady selling bean sprouts at the market ... most of the audience would remember her role ... it speaks of so many who have tide through the tough times ...

What could be better ...

-- Hmmm, if you are very accustomed to the earlier days of Japanese TV drama/or the recent craze over Korean TV drama, you will know what to expect ... so maybe the surprise level is not as high ... and the story might seem a bit "familiar" (e.g., brother & sister relationship, ill fated lovers from rich and poor family, cheated and conned by shrewd businessman, sickness and death, etc ...)

-- You are not going to sob and sob ... but like many Japanese drama, there is always that tinge of sadness ...

Conclusion:
Can watch ... as usual, with someone you like …
hengcs

Return to Film Talk