36 Quai des Orfvres (2004) (France)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

36 Quai des Orfvres (2004) (France)

Postby hengcs » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:43 pm

Director: Olivier Marchal
Cast: Daniel Auteuil, Grard Depardieu

This show had 8 nominations for the Csar Awards, and I think it was a box office hit in France too!

I will write my reviews soon ... cos I have too much things to clear after 2 weeks of absence ... hee hee ... Maybe others who have watched it could write their review too ...

Conclusion:
Hey, I actually find the show very excellent!
Go watch for the well paced "thriller" and "violence". Although it is rather plot driven, the ENTIRE cast carried their roles very well. The show is rather mainstream, but worth my time ...
hengcs

Re: 36 Quai des Orfvres (2004) (France)

Postby trevor826 » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:38 am

I know this is getting released on DVD in the UK soon, I'll have to wait till then before I can comment.

Hengcs, did you see it in the cinema or on DVD?

Cheers Trev
trevor826

Postby hengcs » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:22 am

I watched it in a cinema.
hengcs

Postby trevor826 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:23 pm

Whatever happened to that review hengcs (yeah!.... like I'm perfect)

An enjoyable well made albeit pretty commercial police drama with more than an element of truth to it, shame they had to tag on a happy ending though.

Good central performances as you would expect and very well paced, the dvd includes an English dub that sounds like they got the cast from something like Lock, Stock etc to do it after a session in the pub. but I suppose it'll attract the type of audience that wouldn't normally watch a French film.

Is it worthy of its comparison to Heat? I'm not really sure as it's a long time since I've seen it but I suppose the use of two of France's most well known actors was bound to draw that sort of comparison plus the action scenes but obviously the stories are totally different.

Worth seeing but I'd like to have seen more of the French judicial procedure as it is so different from that of the UK.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Return to Film Talk