Les Amants rguliers, Regular Lovers (2005) (France)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Les Amants rguliers, Regular Lovers (2005) (France)

Postby trevor826 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:53 pm

Les Amants rguliers, Regular Lovers (2005)

Directed by Philippe Garrel

Starring Louis Garrel, Clotilde Hesme

Sad to say it was a wasted three hours, all the style of a sixties French movie, authenticity in the look of everything from clothing, hairstyles, decor etc but emotionally stone cold dead! It didn't grab me in any way at all in fact it felt like a three hour sketch parodying the worst aspects and indulgences of the Nouvelle Vague. You can't make a successful film just by name dropping other directors and imitating sequences from their films, a certain dance moment for one.

I would judge that the feel of the film was of paramount importance to the director, 4:3 screen ratio, credits listed at the beginning, purely monochromatic film, add scratches and at times fuzzy sound to give it that authentic sixties vibe but did they really need to incorporate pure white subtitles? Great idea, just like the first dvd release of La Haine, the subs were totally illegible for the majority of the film, sometimes common sense needs to prevail!

Anyway, sorry to admit that I found the characters and plot utterly un-engaging, I was hoping for a lot more than this, if the running time had been halved it may have resulted in a far better film and viewing experience.

One good thing though, it did make me want to watch some good films from that period so I'll probably be revisiting some early Godard and Truffaut amongst others, even Bertolucci's "The Dreamers" which of course also starred Louis Garrel whom I've just realised is the directors son seems more appealing at the moment.

Great style, no substance.

Cheers Trev.

Distributed by Artificial Eye in the UK.

BBFC rated 18 - because of the level of drug use.

Re: Les Amants rguliers, Regular Lovers (2005) (France)

Postby hengcs » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:51 am

Hey, I have also JUST watched it in the French Film Festival ...

Interestingly, our English title was translated to "Everyday Lovers" (at least on the brochure, cant recall in the film) ... dont ask me why ...

My thoughts ...

-- When i read some "ratings/reviews" of this film before doing my selection, i was pretty curious why some people reckon it a masterpiece while others call it a total bore ... finally i understood ...

-- filmed in black and white, it is basically a film that goes for "style" and the "feel/mood" as opposed to any actual plot ... and when there was a plot (e.g., the rebel, etc), it was filmed too "plainly" (like real life, with little exciting soundtrack to pound your adrenalin) ...

so, for a 3 hr film, it can be VERY "trying" for some, esp. if it is screened at 9.30 pm! ... to be honest, in the theater i was at, out of abt 120-130 people that day, abt 30 or so walked out half way ... sigh ... i endured through ... i have to admit that i only like the ENDING ... not becos it has ended *laugh * ... but becos it was pretty depressing ...

A very divisive film indeed ... either you like it a lot or you hate it ... watch it at your perils ... i presume people who love it are either the very artsy people, or the elderly French who have been through those times, and could identify with the period and the mood ...

Postby trevor826 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:01 am

It certainly tried to capture a little of the magic from quite a few of the classic films from that period, it did manage to capture the effortless way that people can fall in and out of love at the prospect of something better.

Unfortunately though it was a totally disengaging experience for me and one I will not be repeating for a long time (if ever).

Cheers Trev.

Postby hengcs » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:14 am

For those who are not aware, this film has garnered the Best Director and Outstanding Technical Contribution at Venice Film Festival 2005 .

Return to Film Talk