The Banquet (Ye Yan) (2006)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: The Banquet (Ye Yan) (2006)

Postby hengcs » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:56 am

you will be "upset" to know that the other film in contention for Oscar is also a "period" film ... ha ha ha

* drum roll *

Curse of the Golden Flower (2006)

Director: Zhang Yi Mou
Cast: Jay Chou, Chow Yun Fatt, Gong Li, Liu Ye

The official website in English is not ready yet ...
will keep you people informed ...

Postby trevor826 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:05 am

All I can say is:

Raise the Red Lantern (1991)
Ju Dou (1990)

Are two of my favourite films ever! Both period dramas, both directed by Zhang Yi Mou and both starring Gong Li.

I think my expectations for Curse of the Golden Flower (2006) will probably be far too high.

Cheers Trev.

Postby hengcs » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:07 pm

I have finally watched it

Postby hengcs » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:58 pm

some simple comments ...

by now, most of you would have heard ... it is loosely based on the story of Hamlet, albeit set in China ...
and also, the emphasis is on the "queen" rather than the "prince" ...

what is good?
- definitely the visuals (i.e.,"art direction", "costume", and "set design") and sound (i.e., sountrack) ... wow ...

- the last 30 min or so, one would be interested to know how it ends ... and the ending scene ... you wont guess it ...

what could be better?
- maybe becos there is "more style" than "characterization", it is not as emotionally engaging as one hopes for (except near the end) ...

- hmmm, although it is set in china, there are some elements that make it less oriental and more foreign ...

- nothing personal, but i am not sure if Zhang Ziyi carries the role well (if you look at each scene separately, she does look the part ... however, if you try to appreciate how the character is "complicated" in her relationship/situation so as to survive, it doesn't come across as a coherent portrayal); instead, i thought Gong Li may have done a better job ...

recommended (esp for a commercial film) ...

Return to Film Talk