Sophie Scholl - Die letzten Tage (2005) (Germany)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Sophie Scholl - Die letzten Tage (2005) (Germany)

Postby hengcs » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:01 am

Director: Marc Rothemund
Cast: Julia Jentsch, Fabian Hinrichs, Gerald Alexander Held

In Berlin International Film Festival, it won the Best Director and Best Actress award.

It is Germany's Oscar submission for 2006.

The official website is here ...
www.sophiescholl-derfilm.de/

My thoughts ...
-- Wow ... it will likely buy the audience over ... these 3 aspects are especially compelling ...
(i) the story ... by itself, it is already excellent; moreover, it is based on real events (i.e., White Rose, a resistance group against the Nazis) ... the film manages to capture the undaunted spirit, the strength to stand by one's principles ... the willingness to die in order to protect one's family/friends ... also, it depicts woman with strength ...
(ii) the ENTIRE cast is commendable ... ok, I know lots have been said about the female lead, so I shan't say anymore ... I will highlight the others instead, like the judge at the end (Andre Hennicke), wow, he is so domineering ... the interrogator (Alexander Held), a controlled performance ... or even the other female prisoner (Gerald Alexander Held) ....
(iii) the soundtrack ... you really have to admire it for keeping the pace exciting and striking a melancholic mood at the right moments ...

What could be better ...
-- At one scene, there is a minor technical "glitch" ... i.e., the mike overhead was visible onscreen and was quickly moved offscreen again ... but let's be more forgiving ...
-- You have to like the fact that the film focuses primarily on Sophie and not the rest of the group members ...

Conclusion:
Highly recommended ... rather compelling drama ...
I think it will likely make it to 1 of the 5 in Oscar ...
hengcs

Re: Sophie Scholl - Die letzten Tage (2005) (Germany)

Postby trevor826 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:03 pm

Because I had a busy week I waited till Thursday to see Sophie Scholl only to find it was cancelled, brilliant eh!

Guess I'll have to wait for the dvd release.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby hengcs » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:12 am

Oh no, it should be watched on a big screen.
hengcs

Postby A » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:00 pm

Haven't seen it, as I'm not very interested in the yearly fare of Third Reich Dramas/documentaries that pour out of Germany. And these kinds of Big-Budget prestige-productions leave me usually with a bitter aftertaste.
But maybe I'll give it a try, if you folks all like it...
Haven't seen Napola or Downfall either, to mention two other of this year's "Third Reich"-offerings.
A

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:22 am

And these kinds of Big-Budget prestige-productions leave me usually with a bitter aftertaste.

That's exactly what I felt about Downfall. Many found it "entertaining," though. Since Sokurov's film on Hitler called Moloch doesn't feature big, loud war sequences, no one cares about it.
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:18 am

Downfall. Many found it "entertaining,"

There must be some pretty strange people out there!

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:26 am

That's what I hear.
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:33 am

Just finished watching Sophie Scholl, I thought the performances were good and the story powerful. Unlike Hengcs though, I can't say I was keen on the soundtrack, at times I felt it was grating and intrusive though it was more effective at other stages. I actually think it would have been better without a soundtrack just taking in the ambient noises instead.

Anyway, although it's a good film I do wish that Germany would move away from making films about various aspects of WWII. It won't be forgotten, neither will the millions of needless deaths (of course we won't learn from it either).

If you look closely you can draw parallels with the disdain given to Germans who dared to speak out against Hitler and the war and people who are doing the same now in the USA and UK with the trouble in Iraq etc but I won't go any further into that as it'll just turn into another preachy lecture.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:07 am

I passed on a screening of this film, even though I had heard good things about Jentsch's performance. Not sure when it'll be available on DVD here. How's the ICA DVD?
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:57 am

Julia Jentsch certainly pulled off a very good performance and like hengcs I was impressed by Andr Hennicke.

As for the dvd, ICA/Drakes Avenue are hardly known for the high quality of their releases and this is no different, sure it's adequate but it could (in my eyes should) have been so much better.

Burnt in subtitles, stereo sound and zip in the way of extras. The picture quality is good but I don't know why they cant go the extra yard and produce a higher quality dvd. Extras could have included a look at the historical background, cast/crew interviews, making of doc or anything related to the film. Hopefully the US release will be better.

I wouldn't complain so much about vfm but their products are the same standard price as other companies that do provide a higher quality value for money product.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Next

Return to Film Talk