How Much Do You Love Me (Combien tu m'aimes) (Italy/France)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

How Much Do You Love Me (Combien tu m'aimes) (Italy/France)

Postby hengcs » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:55 am

How Much Do You Love Me (Combien tu m'aimes) (2005) (Italy/France)

Director: Bertrand Blier
Cast: Monica Bellucci, Bernard Campan, Grard Depardieu

The film has garnered the Best Director Award in Moscow Int'l Film Festival

The official website

A man who had just struck lottery entered a bar, offered a hooker money/allowance/living expenses in the hope that she would stay with him (until he became broke of course) ... will love flourish?! can love be bought?!

My thoughts:

-- Initially, I was undecided over whether to watch the film or not ... IMDB gave it a miserable 5.4 (with 284 votes) ... However, with its win for Best Director in Moscow Intl Film Festival, I decided to watch it ... so, what is my verdict?!

For the beginning 1/3 of the film or so, I was not too impressed (it did not feel like a comedy (as marketed) ... also, the acting/expressions adopted were rather caricatures ...)

However, I had to admit that if you had the patience to sit through, the film actually got better and better (for the next 2/3) ...
... it was fantastic in terms of its dialogues and thought provoking lines ... rather philosophical indeed ...
... also, i like the soundtrack (incl. jazz, Bellini, Pucinni, Rossini, Verdi, etc) ... Noteworthy, I esp. like the music featured at the bar and at the end credits ... wow ... what a mood it creates ...
... also, there is great effort in art direction (the beginning, the bar shots, etc)

Nonetheless, I thought the last 5 to 10 minutes could be rather "difficult" to decipher/interpret for some ... what actually happened in the end ...

It is a film that will be very divisive; you either like it for being "intelligent", or you hate it for being "slow" or not "funny" enough ...

Return to Film Talk