Harvie Krumpet (2003 - Australia)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Harvie Krumpet (2003 - Australia)

Postby trevor826 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:48 am

Harvie Krumpet (2003)

Directed by Adam Elliot

Some are born great. Some achieve greatness. Some have greatness thrust upon themand then there are others

Thus we are welcomed into the life and world of Harvie Krumpet.

Born in Poland, the tale of Harvek Milos Krumpetzki, one of lifes underdogs is at times sad, tragic yet poignant and filled with an underlying humour and joy.

Diagnosed with Tourette syndrome and educated at home by his somewhat nutty mother, Harvek wrote everything he learned in his book of FAKTS which he carries with him everywhere, even as an adult.

Tragedy strikes when his mother accidentally burns their house down then freezes to death with his father. Just as hes getting over this WWII starts and Harvek joins many other Polish migrants and heads for Australia.

Once in Australia, he changes his name to Harvie Krumpet, the film then follows his life through being hit by lightning, having a metal plate stuck in his head, suffering from testicular cancer, marriage etc etc.

A twentytwo minute stop motion animation with a very different style to Wallace and Gromit, this is a wonderful film, bleak yet joyous, by far the best Ive seen from Adam Elliot and one Im sure hell find difficult to surpass.

A definite recommendation and if you get hold of the dvd, youll probably be singing God is better than football long after the film has finished.

Cheers Trev.

BBFC rating 12

Region 2 Pal dvd available from Metrodome Distribution. Also available on Region 1 ntsc.
trevor826

Re: Harvie Krumpet (2003 - Australia)

Postby A » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:14 am

Have ordered the DVD for christmas, as it also has his three other shorts on it. His "Brother" (1999) is one of my all-time favorite films. I'm interested in what he does with color in Harvie Krumpet.
A

Postby gratefultiger » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:50 am

Yes Harvie is an aussie legend! "sieze the day"
our aussie films are coming to a hopefully imporrtant phase Little Fish,The Propostion are 2 i would recommend.
gratefultiger

Postby trevor826 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:53 pm

I forgot to mention the dvd extras. All the shorts are on there plus a commentary and stills and other little bits and pieces. All in all a nice package at a reasonable price.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby A » Wed May 31, 2006 6:55 am

Bought the DVD in December, and (re)watched all of the films.
I must say my opinion has changed a bit. I found the best film to be his masterful 1-minute short Human Behavioural Case Studies from 1996.
After that Uncle and Cousin were also great, with Brother following close behind. But I had the feeling that his films got a bit less personal as he went along, with Cousin holding most of the truth.
When i attended a screening of the trilogy along with harvie Krumpet at the International Animation Festival in Stuttgart last month, Elliot was present during the screening, and he and his producer were willing to answer many questions. He told quite a lot about his life and his films, and while it was great news to hear that he is working on a feature-length project for some time already, I was disappointed when i saw Harvie Crumpet
To me most of the magic was gone in a rather commercial undertaking that had tremendous problems with timing, as well as not much to say. I felt that Elliot wasn't being very honest, as I couldn't feel that he really connected with most of what he depicted. Worse, i even got the impression that he didn't know what he was trying to say or what exactly he was talking about in some scenes. The film was more "comic" than tragic, an evolution which can be traced from his first film onwards, and of which i disaprove. The voice-over also doesn't work to the films advantage, as it is never as imaginative as the images, though the images clearly emerged from it. His comments only confirmed my doubts, and I must say that his producer (nice as she may be) is probably the main responsible person for the shift of tone (and work ethics). I hope his new big project, for which they still need a lot of money won't be a compromise again.
The Producer stated that she was asking Elliot if he reall wanted to make these small b&w films for the rest of his life, and convinced him to go bigger. Imo a bad decision.
I could go on writing really a lot, but as it is already late at night, I'll finish, so to not get more disappointed with the machinery of film-business.
I just wish he returns to his very roots, and also claims back his full name. Hopefully someday I'll witness the ressurection of Adam Benjamin Elliot.
A

Return to Film Talk