Workingman's Death (2005) (Austria/Germany)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Workingman's Death (2005) (Austria/Germany)

Postby hengcs » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:54 am

Director: Michael Glawogger

The official website
see
http://www.workingmansdeath.com/

The documentary depicts the work of various manual labor around the world, and is told in 6 segments
Chapter 1: HEROES
Chapter 2: GHOSTS
Chapter 3: LIONS
Chapter 4: BROTHERS
Chapter 5: THE FUTURE
Chapter 6: EPILOGUE

Each segment will bring you to a different country and labor
1 - Ukraine, coal mines
2 - Indonesia, sulphur mining
3 - Nigeria, slaughter yard
4 - Pakistan, shipbreaking
5 - China, steel complex
6 - Germany, leisure park

For more info
http://www.workingmansdeath.com/chapter_en.html

As I did not read much about the film prior to watching, I thought the film was technically "unexpected", but good ... merely looking at the title, I thought it is going to be rather "dramatic" and "eventful" ... bombarding us with scenes of horrible images ... say, for example, mines exploding, people very sick and dying, etc ...

Without these manipulative tactics, the film actually achieves a higher level of technicality ... making the audience feel ... by ... depicting a very realistic portrayal of how life has to go on despite the harsh conditions ... as there is always hope amidst resignation ... and there is always danger amidst calm ... and there is always bond (be it love or friendship) amidst poverty ... and there is always "entertainment" amidst work ...

As such, the film succeeds in making the audience feel the gravity of the situation, the grimness and the suffering, and yet will occasionally smile at the interviews/dialogues, etc ...

The film also has interesting lines and food for thought ...

In terms of cinematography, I personally like the scenes at Ukraine (wow ... the winter), Indonesia, China (wow ... the calligraphy) and Germany (the lighting) ...

I do not have much qualms over the film except that
... NOT all audience can stomach the scenes at Nigeria ... with all the slaughtering and blood ... and for quite an extensive segment
... also, the China and Germany segments are kind of too terse ...

Conclusion:
Highly Recommended.
But do go with the expectation of a documentary, not a drama ...
Also, the scenes at Nigeria with all the slaughtering may be too much for some audience ...
hengcs

Re: Workingman's Death (2005) (Austria/Germany)

Postby A » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Sounds good as expected. I'll try to check it out if it will be shown here in the south.
Can you tell me some more about the scenes in germany, the "Leisure Park"
A

Postby hengcs » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:28 pm

sure ...

unfortunately, the "leisure park" scenes are for the epilogue ... so it is kind of brief ...

it basically features the "beauty" of its night lightings, with many young couples visiting it ... kissing, etc ... * smile *

while others may have a different interpretation for this ending scene, i would like to say my take away of the scene is probably ...
-- that there is still "life" after its supposed "end" (the steel industry) ... paralleling the fact that life goes on ... or there is always a new lease of life ...
-- and that there is "beauty" in everything we do (or work) ... these and many other workers help bring "beauty" to the world ...
hengcs

Postby A » Sat May 06, 2006 7:41 pm

Thanks.
The film was just starting to play in one theater when I left Berlin, but I'll try to catch it when I have the chance.
A

Postby hengcs » Mon May 08, 2006 11:45 pm

An interview with the director
www.cinema-scope.com/cs24...r_salt.htm
hengcs

Return to Film Talk