Sha Po Lang (SPL) (2005) (HK)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Sha Po Lang (SPL) (2005) (HK)

Postby hengcs » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:11 am

Director: Wilson Yip
Cast: Sammo Hung, Simon Yam, Donnie Yen, Wu jing

The official website is here ...
see
www.shapolangthemovie.com/
(the "clickable" synposis, trailer, etc are around the border of the picture)

The film makes its debut at the Toronto International Film Festival.

The title of the film "Sha Po Lang" refers to the three astrological stars
-- Qi Sha (Seven Kills)
-- Po Jun (Destructive General), and
-- Tan Lang (Avaricious Wolf).
Individually, the stars are omens of destruction, conflict and greed, but when they are aligned, they may portend good things! It is believed that these stars will influence and determine one's personality and fate ... In a way, the three main protagonists are representative of the three stars ...

My thoughts ...
-- What do most audience go for? ... what else, the action scenes! ... esp. the last 2 fighting scenes near the end ... at least they fight for a substantial amount of time ... and it is real kungfu ... not CGI ... hiaks hiaks ...
i.e., between Donnie and Wu Jing
i.e., between Donnie and Summo Hung
-- As a thriller, I thought it is very well paced and there is sufficient tension ... there are some shocks and surprises too ... all in all, this is complemented by an exciting soundtrack ...
-- The movie touches on some nice themes, such as
... what is right and what is wrong
... what is paternity ... at home, in a work place, in a triad, etc ... the relationship between parents (e.g., the numerous fathers) and their "children" ...
... the bond among friends (or colleagues)
etc
-- While some scenes will surprise/shock the audience
* no spoilers *
some other scenes will touch the audience ...
e..g, the public telephone booth scene ...
-- Overall, it is a rather sad and dark film ...

What could be better ...
-- Many people will likely complain about the ending ... and/or nitpick on the credibility of the plot ... but hey, let's be more forgiving ...
-- Some people may complain about the lack of characterization, but frankly, quite a number of Asian films are rather subtle, and they do not use many scenes to tell you about a person ... often a line they say or a scene depicts everything that the director wants you to know about the person ... in essence, for a thriller, that is one of the ways they try to maintain the pacing and keeps the movie concise ...
-- I, however, feel that the scene where the girl and her father meets for the first time and she leaves is somehow not compelling ...

Conclusion:
A well paced thriller ... rather dark though ... recommended
hengcs

Return to Film Talk