Brodeuses (2004 - France) A Common Thread

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Brodeuses (2004 - France) A Common Thread

Postby trevor826 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:22 pm

Brodeuses (2004) A Common Thread

Directed by lonore Faucher

Starring Lola Naymark, Ariane Ascaride

A simple relationship drama concerning a young girl with an unwanted pregnancy and an older woman whose son has recently died in a tragic accident.

I had read that this compared well with the Dardennes films which I found intriguing but apart from some interesting shots I couldnt see the comparison.

This is more of a chocolate box film, you float with it rather than hitting a genuinely gritty reality, everything falls into place very neatly as two disparate characters find common ground or if you prefer A Common Thread and learn to depend on each other. One whose life has fallen apart because of a mistake (burst condom) and the other who has contemplated taking her own life because of her sons untimely death.

The close up shots of the sewing, the machinery and the embroidery are nicely done actually making it look quite interesting, the performances are good although it would have been better to give the principal characters more to get their teeth into.

This is lonore Fauchers first feature length film and as such she should be congratulated, it has won several awards and been nominated for others. Hopefully shell go on to direct some outstanding features like her contemporaries.

Recommended as light viewing, enjoyable but not earth shattering, certainly worth a rental.

Cheers Trev.

BBFC rated 12.

Region 2 Pal dvd available from Soda Pictures

Re: Brodeuses (2004 - France) A Common Thread

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:40 am

The film was released earlier this year in the U.S. with the title "Sequins" (I knew that the French name sounded familiar). Haven't seen it yet.

Soda pictures is a good new label, isn't it. I think they also had Guy Maddin's Cowards Bend the Knee as an extra on thier The Saddest Music DVD.

Re: Brodeuses (2004 - France) A Common Thread

Postby trevor826 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:15 am

Soda Pictures have impressed me, Untold Scandal, Head On, Reconstruction, Brothers plus a few others. I haven't seen " The Saddest Music" yet but it's good that they've tried to include something decent in the extras, there were also short films with Reconstruction and Head On.

One bad point though, like Tartan and Artificial Eye, they don't have enough info especially regarding upcoming releases on their website, it's always easier to find the info elsewhere.

Cheers Trev.

Return to Film Talk