Reccomend Me Some Good Mexican Films

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Reccomend Me Some Good Mexican Films

Postby AleDanSal » Fri Apr 27, 2001 12:39 am

I know that Sexo Pudor y Lagrimas, Amores Perros, Like Water for Chocalate, are very good movies. What other Mexican Movies are good.(mainly from 1990's till now, no ones prior to this date, unless its really, really good). Thanks.
AleDanSal

Re: Reccomend Me Some Good Mexican Films

Postby maya » Sat Apr 28, 2001 12:53 pm

"Santitos" "Danzon" "La Tarea" aka "Homework".
maya

Postby cinemasmooch » Tue May 01, 2001 2:33 pm

I saw one with Selma Hyack (sp) with the word Alley in the title. Don't remember much about it except that a guy was persuing her who she didn't feel the same way about.
cinemasmooch

Postby im2good4u33 » Wed May 02, 2001 11:02 pm

Yeah that title is Midaq Alley. Very interesting film. These are some of the Mexican Films I have seen and that I highly recommend. They are in order of which ones I think are the best.
1) Amores Perros
2) Como Agua Para Chocolate (Like Water for Chocolate)
3) Sexo, Pudor, y Lagrimas (Sex, Shame, and Tears)
4) La Ley de Herodes (Herod's Law)
5) El Callejon de los Milagros (Midaq Alley)
6) Un Embrujo- don't know the exact transaltion
7) El Coronel no Tiene Nadie que le Escriba (No One Writes to the Coronel)
There are a few more that I havent seen, including the classic Los Olvidados (The Forgotten Ones) and Viridiana. Someone let me know what else is cool to watch.
im2good4u33

Postby D-rel » Mon Aug 20, 2001 5:47 pm

Bunuel's "El Angel Exterminador" is excellent, and I'm pretty sure it's a Mexican production.
D-rel

Postby London_Sound » Mon Aug 20, 2001 5:50 pm

Los Olvidados and Illusion Travels by Streetcar are two more excellent Bunuel Mexican films.
London_Sound

Postby Chickp1017 » Sun Oct 14, 2001 6:01 am

I forgot if this one's Spanish or Mexican..."The Spirit of the Beehive." Very touching, beautifully done. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is a fan of Spanish-speaking films.
Chickp1017

Postby john-5 » Mon Dec 31, 2001 6:15 am

From the 90's onwards, the following have been much admired:Amores Perros(the best i've seen),La Ley de Herodes (Estrada),Solo Con tu Pareja(Cuaron),Et tu Mama Tambien(Cuaron),Danzon(Novaro),El Mariachi(low budget big success),Principio y Fin (Ripstein).Many liked Cronos by Del Toro,though i wasn't so keen.And of course,Como Agua para Chocolate is the most popular Mexican film.
Of pre-90's films, try;Los Olvidados,El, El Angel Exterminador, Nazarin (all by Bunuel),El Compadre Mendoza(De Fuentes)-i've not seen it but it's considered a masterpiece - and Que Viva Mexico(by the great Eisenstein),both from the 30's.Gabriel Figueroa (Maria Candelaria)and Fernandez(Pueblerina)were also important Mexican directors.You could try El Topo(1971), by the Chilean director Jodorowsky, but Mexican,if you want something very unusual and surreal.
john-5

Postby john-5 » Mon Dec 31, 2001 6:18 am

i agree with chickp;Spirit of the Beehive is the best film in Spanish;it is in fact from Spain, 1973, by the acclaimed director Erice,who makes films very rarely.The performance by Ana Torent may be the most charming and believable ever given by a child.
john-5

Postby john-5 » Mon Dec 31, 2001 6:54 am

a quick correction; i can't have been concentrating properly- Figueroa was a great cinematographer(including on Maria Candelaria)-rather than director.For some reason i suddenly imagined he directed the film as well!
john-5

Return to Film Talk