Strings (2004)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Strings (2004)

Postby trevor826 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:05 am

Directed by Anders Rnnow-Klarlund

A dark fairytale that plays out like a very simplified Shakespearian tragedy with suicide, murder, love, revenge, sacrifice and a lot more besides.

There is little if anything original about the plot but what makes this stand out is the fact that the puppet strings are integral to the characters lives. This is shown in a number of ways such as the suicide right at the start, the King, ashamed of what hes done leaves a note for his son then takes his knife and cuts the string thats attached to his head, this causes his death. There are many clever little touches to show the effect of the strings throughout the film such as the design of the city gate which is a single bar thats raised, preventing the strings to pass under.

Its a strange one though, there are moments which are too dark for children and most adults wont be bothered simply because its a puppet play and fairytale like, so who would enjoy it?

Well I did, I enjoyed it for the little touches and the sheer artistry of the puppeteers plus the way the strings were integrated into the story, and also I like a good Shakespeare style tragedy. The rest of the audience seemed enthralled as well but this was an art-house cinema, it didnt make it to the multiplexes, not in Cardiff anyway, unfortunately this will mean the majority will miss out on something enjoyable which is a shame.

A definite recommendation for those who like to try something a little different. If you get the chance to see it, especially in the cinema then take the opportunity.

Cheers Trev.

BBFC rated PG.
trevor826

Return to Film Talk