Lilja 4-ever (2002) (Sweden)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Lilja 4-ever (2002) (Sweden)

Postby hengcs » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:59 pm

Director: Lukas Moodysson
Cast: Oksana Akinshina, Artyom Bogucharsky

Ok, I know it has been discussed before, but the thread has disappeared after the virus attack.

Anyway, I have just watched it ...

Initially, I was thinking ... another film about teenager being forced into prostitution?! ... not a new theme ... so what could the director do to make it a really good film ... and at the end, I had to agree it is a very good film ...

What I like ...
There are quite a number of very commendable scenes ...
-- I especially like the second time when the young boy sat with Lilja and talked to her again ... the lines went something like that ... "You will be dead for eternity ... but you only live for a moment ..."
* ... WOW ... and you think about the title "... 4 ever ..." (i.e., eternity?!) ... and her etching on the bench "... Lilja 4-ever ..." *
also ... since she didnt leave when people spat on her then, why should she now ...
-- I also like the scene when everything started reversing ... oh no ... don't tell me it was one of those films that nothing had happened and it was just a figment of imagination again ...
* watch it and you will know what actually happened ... *
-- I also think the film managed to capture the relationship between the girl and the boy very well ...
* by the way, do you see a parallel of her mother leaving her and she leaving him?! *
-- Finally, it is good that the film did not become too melodramatic, but told many real life plights as they were ...

What may some people not like ...
-- Well, to be critical, the plot is not too novel ... although it has a nice take ...

Conclusion:
-- I recommend the film ... go watch ...
While the story is not exactly new, it is very well filmed ...

PS: The DVD also has two shorts/appeals from UNICEF and Amnesty International.
hengcs

Return to Film Talk