Ashes of Time - What's it all about?

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Ashes of Time - What's it all about?

Postby trevor826 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:59 pm

Has anyone seen Ashes of Time from Wong Kar Wai?

I don't know if the copy I have is below par in terms of the transfer and subtitles but I found it difficult to read the subs and almost impossible to make any headway with the film.

So please, if anybody can shed some light on the film, what is it about etc I would be very grateful.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Re: Ashes of Time - What's it all about?

Postby wpqx » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:01 pm

I had a similar reaction, hard to read subtitles, and I probably didn't pay enough attention to it, as usual. I did however watch the film and appreciate it on a visual level.
wpqx

Postby hengcs » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:00 pm

Hey,
I watched it too long ago. I guess I have to get the DVD to rewatch it if you want me to recall or explain scenes by scenes ... * naughty grin *

But I definitely can share a few interesting things about the film.

The Chinese title is "East Evil West Venom" (literally). "East Evil" (aka Huang Yao Shi) and "West Venom" (aka Ou Yang Feng) are two major characters in the famous martial arts novel "Legend of the Condor Heroes" by Jin Yong.

But, Wong Kar Wai is NOT doing an adaptation. What he tries to do, is to create his own story of what could probably have happened to these two characters when they were teenagers (i.e., not really elaborated in the novel) to let them become what they were at this old age. In fact, he is not interested in events as much as the pyschology and emotions underlying these two characters -- that is why the film is more "mood driven" rather than "events driven."

The gist of the film is:
-- "East Evil" brought a wine (that could help one forget his past) to "West Venom". While the former drank heartily, the latter wouldn't. Over time, many travellers passed by the inn to tell their stories about lost love and their hope for lost memories.

Many moviegoers (during then) were attracted to the film
-- because the novel was very widely read, and there were many good Hong Kong TVB serials (i.e., TV serials) of the novel. It simply had a very interesting story.
-- because the film had a very fantastic cast ... wow

However, * drum roll *, many moviegoers were surprised/disappointed
-- because WKW adopted a "non martial arts" take, and went for a "more drama" take.
-- because it was slow paced ... BUT many were anticipating a martial arts film, thereby aggravating the disappointment ...
-- because of the nonlinear narration, many could not understand what he was driving at ...

The film was however awarded with the Best Cinematography and Best Editing in Golden Horse Award.
hengcs

Postby groom daniel » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:42 am

Ashes of Time is a great, great film -- the ultimate example of Wong Kar-Wai's art. You need to get a better print.
groom daniel

Postby kookook » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:46 pm

Awards:

14th Annual Hong Kong Film Awards
Winner - Best Cinematography (Christopher Doyle)
Winner - Best Art Direction (William Cheung Suk-Ping)
Winner - Best Costume Design (William Cheung Suk-Ping)
Nomination - Best Picture
Nomination - Best Director (Wong Kar-Wai)
Nomination - Best Screenplay (Wong Kar-Wai)
Nomination - Best Editing (Patrick Tam Ka-Ming, Hai Kit-Wai)
Nomination - Best Action Design (Sammo Hung Kam-Bo)
Nomination - Best Original Score (Frankie Chan Fan-Kei)
1st Annual Hong Kong Film Critics Society Awards
Best Picture
Best Director (Wong Kar-Wai)
Best Screenplay (Wong Kar-Wai)

Availability: DVD (Hong Kong)
Region 0 NTSC
Mei Ah Laser
Widescreen
Cantonese and Mandarin Language Tracks
English and Chinese Subtitles

Nice Movie
kookook

Postby trevor826 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:07 pm

As wpqx noted, the subs on the DVD disappear whenever the screen is light just like the original Tartan DVD release of La Haine, pretty much makes it impossible to follow the story.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby hengcs » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:36 am

Quote Trevor, "As wpqx noted, the subs on the DVD disappear whenever the screen is light just like the original Tartan DVD release of La Haine, pretty much makes it impossible to follow the story."

Hey,
good news
in the new edition, the subtitles are very readable!
hengcs

Return to Film Talk