Alain Resnais' NOT ON THE LIPS (2003) (France)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Alain Resnais' NOT ON THE LIPS (2003) (France)

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:36 am

Alain Resnais latest film Not on the Lips (Pas sur la Bouche) is in many ways a follow-up to his 1997 effort On connat la chanson ("Same old Song"), a highly successful film in its native France but unfortunately it didnt carry over well to other territories. Both films are light-weight musicals (for the most part), and if that surprises a few people -- a few critics already are -- then they obviously havent seen Resnais other recent "theatrical" efforts such as Smoking/No Smoking, Je veux rentrer la maison, and Melo. However, the reaction shouldnt be all that perplexing if one takes in consideration that in this master has directed such monumental films like Night and Fog, Hiroshima Mon Amour, and Last Year at Marienbad.

Based on a 1925 operetta by Andr Barde and Maurice Yvain, this rom-zom-com...sorry, romantic-musical-comedy follows the oft-repeated traditions of old-fashioned French farces, but thats not a slight by any means, Resnais' agenda here is to adapt those traditions in order to either comment on them, or, in some cases, even push them to the limit. Sabine Azma is Gilberte, a wealthy dame who has successfully hidden her first marriage from her abiding new husband Georges (Pierre Arditi). Trouble arises when she discovers that her ex-husband, Eric Thomson (Lambert Wilson) -- a wealthy American Industrialist -- is about to finish a business deal with Georges. In the meantime, shes in the process of enticing Charly (Jalil Lespert), a young artist whos also being eyed by a young Verberie (Audrey Tautou). Rounding out the conundrum are Gilbertes inarticulate sister Arlette (Isabelle Nanty) and yet another lover Faradel (Daniel Prvost).

All characters put on a grand show in front of everyone else, mostly for selfish reasons. But if anyone is as familiar with MGM musicals of the 40's and 50's as Resnais seems to be, then they'll know in advance how this one will end. All actors sing in their own voices which only adds to the incongruent texture of their performances, and that along with the musical numbers themselves, the artful mise-en-scne helped by the lush photography from DP Renato Berta, innuendo-laced dialogue etc. provide elegant yet intoxicating entertainment. It may sound like it but its not all camp folks; If you listen to it carefully, Resnais has much to say about the social values present at that time (or even now), and he goes further to comment on gender relations, martial values and adultery. But in the end, it all comes down to purity, or at least how it's represented - hence the title.

*NOT ON THE LIPS is now available on DVD in the U.S. from Wellspring.
arsaib4

Re: Alain Resnais' NOT ON THE LIPS (2003) (France)

Postby chard09 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:54 am

Hi arsaib, how are you? Seems like we have something in common again.

I saw Pas sur la bouche during the French Spring Filmfest here in Manila along with other good ones like Truffaut's Confidentially Yours and Chabrol's Inspecteur Lavardin. I never expected the film to be a musical, after being so much overwhelmed of what I think the best documentary ever made by Resnais, Night and Fog. I thought it would be a serious film, an art film that will bring me back with Resnais' inventive style in Hiroshima Mon Amour and Last Year at Marienbad. Oh, it's a musical., a great musical. I wish not to detail much about the plot but the feeling while watching it is a mixture of anticipation and wishing it not to end. Of course, Audrey Tatou is there to provide the flavor and I was not disappointed at all. Her grace and difference-ness from the Amelie that we attach to her is overwhelming and well enough for me to be excited on her next film. I may not be critical enough to be aware of the film's social commentary inclination, but with Resnais' direction and a wonderful ensemble of actors, everything seems to be very fluid, reminiscent of classical cinema I really long for these days.
chard09

Re: Alain Resnais' NOT ON THE LIPS (2003) (France)

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:58 am

Thanks, chard09. It's good to hear from you again. You're not the only one who's surprised about the route Resnais has taken here, but if you get a chance to see his other recent films like Melo (1986) and Same Old Song (1997), you'll discover a similar flavor to his work. It's safe to say, however, that most still prefer the "old" Resnais.

I haven't seen Chabrol's Inspecteur Lavardin yet. I think it's out on DVD now so I'll try to get to it. What did you think?
arsaib4

Return to Film Talk