Une Femme Douce

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Une Femme Douce

Postby katsuben » Sun May 06, 2001 11:00 pm

I was amazed when I saw UNE FEMME DOUCE recently. I figured Bresson's best films were A MAN ESCAPED, MOUCHETTE, AU HASARD BALTHAZAR and DIARY OF A COUNTRY PRIEST (all earlier than Une Femme Douce, all in black and white). But to my utmost surprise, I liked his first colour film more than any of the others. A big call indeed. I was just wondering what the general opinion is with respect to Bresson's ouevre. His particular mise-en-scene foci (fragmentation of the body, frames-within-frames, on-axis entrances and exits for instance) seem to me somehow more essential to this film's narrative than any other. The lead actor, Guy Frangin, is quintessential Bresson. Whatever kind of void exists within him pours out of his emotionless face. Dominique Sanda, much to my surprise, befits Bressonian transcendence sublimely. There's very little to conclude about characterisation which intensely highlights the lack that seems to be central to the film's meaning. My Bresson interest has re-newed itself: I'm seeing THE DEVIL, PROBABLY shortly. It's strange how sometimes these filmmakers pervade back into one's consciousness and regenerate themselves within specific contexts. Yay.
katsuben

Re: Une Femme Douce

Postby vicmail2001 » Thu May 10, 2001 4:36 am

Unfortunately I still haven't seen this movie, but your message made me even more curious about it. I like Domenique Sande though. I saw her in de Sica's 'The Garden of the Finzi-Continis' (1970) and she was of mysterious beauty. 'Une Femme Douce' was her debut film I saw, and she is one of the few Bresson models who started a great acting career. I'm really curious what has become of the girl who played 'Mouchette' and the girl who played Jeanne d'Arc in 'Le Proces de Jeanne d'Arc' . Does anybody know?
vicmail2001

Return to Film Talk