films of interest

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

films of interest

Postby Vee. M. » Wed May 09, 2001 2:54 am

anyone else interested in the lesser discussed directors of the nouvelle wave? i mean the only mention of louis malle being au revoir....c'mon le souffle au couer(murmurs of the heart) was just as touching as a movie, maybe more if you factor out the untouchable holocaust factor. "murmurs...", the predecessor to spanking the monkey? though i haven't caught that one yet. murmurs is definitely worth seeing, if you haven't caught it yet.

and are there any other directors from this era that interest people? i've only seen a handful of other films. I saw this one film "Chloe In the Afternoon" by Rohmer, conventional, but introspective and a little nutty. but don't know much of his other works.
Vee. M.

Re: films of interest

Postby vicmail2001 » Wed May 09, 2001 11:31 am

My favorite nouvelle vague director at the moment is Jacques Rivette, probably the most unknown of all. This is partly due to the fact that most of his films are longer than average. But personally I think he is one of the most experimental filmmakers who is still able to make remarkeble films.

Recommendations are:

- Celine and Julie go boathing (1974) : a brilliant, lightly surrealistic fantasy

- Jeanne de Bucelles part I & II (1994) : one of the best films based on the live on Jeanne d'Arc

- Haus bas Fragile (1995) : inspired by the Hollywood musicals of the thirties.

Re: films of interest

Postby katsuben » Wed May 09, 2001 10:10 pm

Agnes Varda. 'Cleo from 5 to 7', 'Le Bonheur', 'Vagabond'.

Return to Film Talk