The Bourne Ultimatum (2007) - Paul Greengrass

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

The Bourne Ultimatum (2007) - Paul Greengrass

Postby wpqx » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:39 pm

Within a few seconds of the film opening we are running through the streets with a disoriented camera and it doesn't take long to recognize the mark of our director. Paul Greengrass, who helmed the last installment of the Bourne movies is on board to direct this one, and brings the same immediacy and nearly nauseating hand held camera work to the fore. Action scenes are blurry and fast, the editing never stops to rest but this pace works for us. If we are meant to feel like we are constantly on the run and can't rest, then this camera work does just that for us. We can't even get much of a break during the quiet CIA scenes, we're still being bounced around. To view this film as anything short of a wild ride that we are on would be a mistake. This is the last hurrah for Jason Bourne and we're not going anywhere.

As one would expect this film is a journey and one that should take us to the end. There were three books written, and well the franchise will most likely not go anywhere from here. Of course Bourne was a non-issue at the end of the last film, at the end of the first film for that matter. So we have to make him a target, otherwise how would we chase him around? Bourne is considered a threat because of what he knows, and although we know he isn't using his knowledge to compromise national security, but the CIA doesn't know that. A new well accomplished actor steps in as the uncaring bureaucratic villain this time, and played well by David Straitharn. There's a leak in the CIA and someone who knows too much has spoken about the top secret program Bourne was previously a part of. At first Bourne is suspected of being the leak, but we quickly find another is responsible. However Bourne and the CIA are both looking for the same man.

Now the plot seems to hit a wall when the target is killed and we're left to wonder just what the hell is going to happen for the next hour. Of course the same story, Bourne wants to find out who he is and what was done to him, and this effectively carries us a good deal of the way. Along the way we run into Nikki Parsons (Julia Stiles) and the two become partial accomplices. I for one was definitely rooting for the two to hook up, but the film avoids that much of a cliche, after all they used that in the first film and Bourne is still not over Maria. However it is hinted that perhaps the two agents did have something of a past, that however is left up in the air. The secret government assassination plan is the point of controversy and what must be exposed. Yet before that can happen a great deal of building jumping, car crashing, and some extremely well done fight sequences. Certainly a film for fans of the franchise or just fans of general action films will admire. Quite a fan of these pictures, and this certainly didn't disappoint.
wpqx

Re: The Bourne Ultimatum (2007) - Paul Greengrass

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:58 pm

The reviews have been great so far. Can't say that I feel the urge to watch it right away, but will do so in due time. How would you compare it to the other Bourne films?
arsaib4

Re: The Bourne Ultimatum (2007) - Paul Greengrass

Postby wpqx » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:33 pm

In all honesty I remember very little about the second film, mainly that I liked it. I'd say it holds up rather well and its hard to put one above the other. In film series of this type the first film usually is the best, it has the most amount of exposition, but I enjoyed how this tied everything together fairly well. This being the freshest in my mind, and the only one I saw in theaters, I'm somewhat leaning to this picture.
wpqx

Return to Film Talk