Robinson Devor's Police Beat (U.S. / 2005)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Robinson Devor's Police Beat (U.S. / 2005)

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:43 am

Based on a popular crime-blotter column from a Seattle alt-weekly, Robinson Devor's Police Beat is an innovative and daringly original film which attempts to depict the internal landscape of its unique protagonist in a vivid and impressionistic manner.

The film tracks a man nicknamed Z for nearly a week. He is a recent Muslim immigrant from Senegal who has found work in Seattle as a bicycle cop. His job involves managing, reporting and eventually logging the wide variety of crime scenes he comes across on a daily basis (all based on actual Seattle police reports). While Z is well familiar with all the "crime-codes" he needs for his logs, he doesnt have a solution for his own dilemma: hes concerned about the fact that his white American girlfriend (only seen via Zs flashbacks) has gone on a camping trip with her male roommate. Fearing the worst, Zs emotional state gradually deteriorates, especially after she fails to contact him like she promised to do.

Devor expertly channels his protagonists inner thought process while maintaining his sense of being as an individual. Z communicates with others in English, of course, but like any new immigrant he thinks in his native language -- in this case, Wolof, which we hear while reading the translation. The director also shows Zs detachment to the world around him as even the most gruesome of crimes fail to draw his attention, perhaps for the best even though what he suffers from might be the worst case of all.

Police Beat is shot with a 35mm anamorphic lens, which not only makes the film look extremely elegant (and thus expensive -- the budget however was only around $200K), but it allows the filmmakers to extract a dreamy, evocative ambiance from Seattle's distinctive atmosphere and topography. The soundtrack, mostly culled form the local music scene, is also richly detailed and expansive.

Z is gracefully played by Pape Sidy Niang, a newcomer who was once a professional soccer player in his native Senegal. By projecting the right amount of innocence and intelligence, he allows his character to continually evolve -- much like what the film does, because it ends being something one wouldnt have expected it to be: moving.

Grade: B+

*POLICE BEAT is now available on DVD in the U.S. from Image Ent. No extra features.

[Edit]Add Grade/DVD info
arsaib4

Re: Robinson Devor's Police Beat (U.S. / 2005)

Postby trevor826 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:00 pm

I felt sorry for Pape Sidy Niang, he appeared for an interview following the film's screening at last year's Cardiff International Film Festival but due to the mess up (shown in the wrong aspect ratio) very few people stayed for the Q&A.

Cheers Trev
trevor826

Postby justindeimen » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:05 pm

Lovely review. From what I've heard, was there a sort of dual narrative? A couple of friends were having discussions on the ending when *SPOILER* he meets his girl near the garage and the overlap with the lone, swing set *SPOILER*, which I could not get into without watching it first but am I right in associating Z's inner turmoil with his girlfriend and his "new country" together with the toils of his job?

Of course, I'm going blind into this without much context so I could be spewing nonsense.
justindeimen

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:54 pm

Thanks. It's short but I'm glad it became useful even after this amount of time

Dual narrative? I'd probably use the term "parallel reality" which is what the protagonist generates in his head. We could discuss it further once you've seen the film. And it'd correct to consider Z's turmoil as a product of his overall situation.
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:27 am

I have been longing to see this again since its inclusion in the 2005 CIFF but I can't imagine Police Beat will ever get a U.K. dvd release, is the R1 dvd good in terms of video/ audio quality?

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:32 pm

I expected more from a Image/Homevision release. The film's soundscape especially deserved more than the generic track provided on the DVD. The video and the subtitles are also subpar. Disappointing, but there aren't any other options available at this point.
arsaib4

Return to Film Talk