This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Postby katsuben » Sun May 13, 2001 1:55 am

So ROSETTA finally made it to Adelaide. I'm glad it did. To me, the film's naturalist aesthetic is put to better use than in, say, Von Trier's more epic, grandeur plots. I wanted to hate ROSETTA. I don't like cinema being used as a realistic device. But after 30 minutes I was fixed in and ready to consider whatever ideology the Dardenne's were pushing. The reason was a gradual acceptance of the tone of the story. At first, I found Rosetta particularly difficult to empathise with but ultimately this trait, consciously laced throughout her characterisation, proves incredibly alluring because one has to work very hard to be WITH Rosetta in this film. I'm not real big on the social realist definition that always seems to be applied to these type of works, but here at least there seems to be some justification for the fact. Simplicity, directness, justifiable acts of anti-social (but moral) behaviour. As someone who detests a jobs domination overlifestlye, I'm transfixed by Rosetta's needful actions. This is a
very easy film to admire.

Re: Rosetta

Postby ishdish2 » Mon May 14, 2001 10:30 pm

this was a cool flick!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby nana » Tue May 15, 2001 12:03 am

i usually agree with you and acquarello, but rosetta gave
me a headache. the handheld dv (much like hartley's book of life) really turned me off. i don't remember there being
much reward to seat through it. i heard good things about it beforehand so maybe i expected too much.

Postby katsuben » Wed May 16, 2001 2:51 am

Yes, usually the naturalist aesthetic of the hand-held wobbly-cam annoys me. But I feel it befits the theme of Rosetta better than, say, the epic narratives of Von Trier. I doubt the film was shot on DV. Hand-held Super-16mm would be my wild guess.

Postby Hectate » Fri May 25, 2001 4:14 am

The hand held jerky shots where made to impose, to some degree--as to what and how she is going thru these trials and tribulations. At some point in time, the dizzying-motions do stop from having seizure fits--like that scene in bed, where she finally admit to us and herself thats he was Rosetta.

Now Ponette, now theres a film that endured to many tight shots.

Postby john-5 » Sat Jan 05, 2002 7:04 pm

a belated addition to this little debate;i fully agree with Katsuben(or should that be Funkyduck?,i'm quite new to using the message board,and have been trying to make sense of some of the names used)-i'm not usually fond of hand-held camera,or grim social realism either,but Rosetta is superb:Emilie Dequenne's performance is staggering-an indomitable,feral warrior,she totally inhabits the part.Utterly believable and involving,and so touching.Certainly one of the best of the decade.

Postby thegreatken1 » Sat Jan 05, 2002 8:09 pm

Emilie Dequenne has a supporting role in "The Brotherhood of Wolves (Le Pact du Loup)".

Return to Film Talk