World Trade Center (2006)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

World Trade Center (2006)

Postby hengcs » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:38 am

Director: Oliver Stone
Cast: Nicolas Cage,

The official site
see
www.wtcmovie.com/
hengcs

Re: World Trade Center (2006)

Postby hengcs » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:40 am

nope, i have not watched.
it is not in singapore yet.
has anyone watched?!

i am anticipating this film and United 93 ...
i know you hate the next question ...
but for those who have watched ... which is better (and more imptly, why?) ... from various aspects?! ... e.g., drama, script, etc

thnks
hengcs

Postby trevor826 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:36 am

I can't believe the number of films spinning off from this extremely tragic occurance, especially when the troubles are still very much in the news almost every single day.

I'm not trying to be funny but I will make a point of not seeing any film tied up with this, no matter how good and/or well meaning they are.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:02 pm

"I'm not trying to be funny but I will make a point of not seeing any film tied up with this, no matter how good and/or well meaning they are."

Same here.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:37 pm

Well I eventually plan on seeing every Oliver Stone film although I'm admittedly several behind now. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss United 93 though, damn close to the best film I've seen all year.
wpqx

Postby hengcs » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:48 am

United 93 was scheduled for July in Singapore ...
somehow, it got delayed ...
dont know why ...
hengcs

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:12 am

"I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss United 93 though, damn close to the best film I've seen all year. "

Based on what I've read, I'm almost certain that both United 93 and the latest Stone film are well made. But at this point I simply refuse to watch anything that packages 9/11 into a thrill-ride or a lesson for the sake of the so-called "American values."
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:37 pm

I haven't heard all that great things about Stone's film, but thats because people in general just hate everything he's ever done.
wpqx

Postby jcdavies » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:13 pm

I've not seen it and i've read some mixed comments, but there was an article i read in one British paper about how it's been championed by some shocked right-wing critics who normally despise his work, but say it's truly inspiring and wonderful. Not that i'm encouraged to see it by their response.

The whole media reaction to 9/11, 7/7, the latest foiled plot in Britain has been one sickening wallow in sensationalism, trying to add victim status to rich imperialist powers who sit back in comfort while we drop our bombs and kill tens of thousands of civilians whose lives are valued far less than, as inferior to, ours. In The Times the other day the first 16 pages were devoted to the foiled terrorist plot in Britain, when noone was killed- do we love the whole idea so much? Even had the plot succeeded the casualty figures would have been similar to just another week in Iraq. A large number of people died in 9/11, and so many many more are killed by our own state terrorism; we are part of an axis of destruction. 9/11 is not a subject for exploitation by media or politicians but their reaction has made the world a much more dangerous place. Any film on the subject should take a long hard look at our own general culpability for the lives lost on both sides of this so-called "war on terror" (a ludicrous expression, especially given the statistics of civilian compared with military victims of Hizbollah-Israel conflict), instead of trading on facile notions of good and evil, selling excitement + suspense, for profit.

I'm tired of racist media equating 100's and 1000's of darker-skinned foreign lives with 1 British or American. The press here have long had a pecking order for value of life; you can have a huge catastrophe in China with 10,000 dead and that will be relegated in newsworthiness behind 50 European dead and, most important of all, 6 or 7 British dead.

Nationalism as well as religious dogma is a great but deadly kitsch of our times; Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being (book) cuts through the nonsensical hypocrisy of so many kitschy "isms".

I can only hope World Trade Center isn't just more kitsch but am not optimistic, even though Stone's documentary Comandante was relatively restrained, if possibly self-promoting.
jcdavies

Postby wpqx » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:02 pm

You do bring up some interesting points, but I think that Stone's film is not so much about the "poor american lives lost" as it is about the people, namely rescue workers, firemen, and civilians who did what they could to save the few lives they could. Granted its impossible for it to not have echoes of a much larger scale, and its impossible to not be emotional dealing with that issue.

I think Spike Lee's 25th Hour was probably the best film about the subject, because it dealt with it more as an after thought. There was an echo of the destruction, without trying to make an overt statement about it. Even if the subject is too great to make direct statements about, I don't necessarily think it should be ignored either.
wpqx

Next

Return to Film Talk