Emir Kusturica's When Father Went Away on Business

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Emir Kusturica's When Father Went Away on Business

Postby Hectate » Thu May 24, 2001 3:20 am

Hello folks,
Just saw this film, and without any more word to express it--loved it. I didn't like the extreme graphic imposition of the circumsition parts, nor the nudity of the children (some calls it art, I on the other hand, ain't a paederast)--nor how its political innuendos and ethics, and Tito was all relevant to the once prestine Sarajevo.

I loved all those parts, but in my opinion--didn't love the film for it. What I adored, and was simply heart-broken--about the film is the love scene between the little boy, and Masa.

Now i've searched high and low around this here information superhighway, and the reviews that I've seen--all talked about the aforementioned 'scruples'. None, not one--talked about this scene stealer, the short-lived relationship between the two. I was so moved, never was I so sadden when this scene was over(not the movie), that I discreetly think without MASA, and the BOy--the movie would've fallen into my begotten, seen it--category of films.

Kusturica, after seeing Black Cat, White Cat--was in his prime, when making this film.

And so on and on, let me be concise--does anybody know who is the actress that played MASA in this film?

Thank you, i've got more to say, but my brain don't seem to agree with that notion.

ZZZ,
Erik
Hectate

Re: Emir Kusturica's When Father Went Away on Business

Postby katsuben » Tue May 29, 2001 9:23 pm

I liked the wedding scene at the end, the quasi-redemption of the brother-in-law (whose performance was terrific, self-consciously very painful). Don't know the girl who played Masa. (Is it not in the credits?)
katsuben

Postby Hectate » Sat Jun 02, 2001 1:58 pm

I caiin't read Albanian, I think thats what Sarajevo speaks. But just wond'rin' cuz she'd be around my age by now.
Hectate

Postby simon » Sun Jun 03, 2001 9:27 pm

I think that 'While Father was Away . ." is a great film, but what makes Kusturica's films work, and I think this is true for many 'foreign' films, is that they have a humanity that Hollywood lacks. Is that understatement? How did you like Underground? S.
simon

Postby Hectate » Sun Jun 03, 2001 10:47 pm

I'm afraid to say I never gotten to that yet. And yes--foreign films does attain that discreet affection for how it treats its human characters. Especially from what I've seen on Kurosawa's, or Tarkovsky's, or Kieslowski's, Traffaut, Yakusho and Majidi. Maybe because of their culture--that they make these kind of films, devoid of the sugar coating and violence one might find in the movies Hollywood dishes out nowadays?

Who knows, but what I do know--is I want to know who that character is!

Erik
Hectate

Postby Hectate » Wed Jun 26, 2002 5:53 am

And so... Till this very day--I still don't know!

Gah.
Hectate

Postby sister_moon25 » Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:21 pm

simon,i really enjoyed "underground"...never mind the soundtrack,that was something else!did you see "cabaret balkan"?the guy who played one of the major roles in under (father,i think) is in balkan.really good film,it's several stories joined together by...ok,i can't reveal everything,i hate it when others do that ;) so yeah,highly recommended.
sister_moon25

Return to Film Talk