Havoc (2005)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Havoc (2005)

Postby hengcs » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:30 am

Director: Barbara Kopple
Cast: Anne Hathaway, Bijou Phillips, Shiri Appleby, Freddy Rodrguez, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Channing Tatum

Conclusion
Well, I watched this some time ago too. This film caught my attention because of its great ensemble of cast ... but did it deliver?! ... not as much as I would want it to ...

forgive me, but the director just did not do enough ... she concentrated too much on Anne Hathaway and Freddy Rodrguez, and missed out on the rest ...

but more imptly, the characterization and plot was rather stereotypical ... and being a social commentary kind of film, i thought the ending was not punchy enough; instead, it settled for a rather "noble" kind of ending ... do you call that a predictable "happy" Hollywood ending?! ...

hmmm ... i will write more if time permits ...
hengcs

Re: Havoc (2005)

Postby justindeimen » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:17 am

Review:

Originally a straight-to-DVD release for domestic audiences in the US and Europe, Havoc has just found its way to our theatres. On whether thats a good thing, is still up for debate. Especially when its single-minded publicity campaign is in every respect being fuelled by the notion of bored girls gone wild and ghetto. If that last sentence had you conjuring up images of drug use, gang violence and sex, thats exactly what this film delivers in spades.

Like a page out of Larry Clarks playbook, the story revolves around bored white teenagers with copious amounts of free time and money. They find themselves getting acquainted with drugs, sex and hip-hop to keep the numbness of suburbia out of their lives. They have formed their own inconsequential gang, the P.L.C., and head up illegal activities with the confidence in daddys fat chequebook bailing them out when trouble knocks on their doors.......Continued at www.moviexclusive.com/rev.../havoc.htm

------------------------------

Aside from my thoughts about the film on the above site, I did find this one of the better Straight-To-DVD films of the year. Good acting, decent plot and some provoking questions should be a good buy overall.

Anne Hathaway jumped the shark I reckon by ditching her good girl image in Ella Enchanted and the Princess Diaries movies and dived straight into this and Brokeback Mountain, both dealing in strong and adult sexual relationships.
justindeimen

Postby wpqx » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:13 pm

I looked forward to this film for so incredibly long, so naturally it was slightly disappointing. I was constantly reminded of how much better Larry Clark is with this type of material than Barbara Kopple (who's spent almost her entire career in documentaries). Anne Hathaway's performance was interesting, but the film was definitely flawed. However it does comment on white rich kids obsession with the ghetto lifestyle, but of course only as a tourist.
wpqx

Postby justindeimen » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:29 pm

Was it just me or did it have heavy vibes of Reefer Madness?

"Danger! Danger!"

Dr. Carroll: ...Failing this, the next tragedy may be that of your daughter's... or your son's... or yours... or yours...
Dr. Carroll: or yours!
justindeimen

Postby wpqx » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:24 pm

It wasn't that bad. Still looking for a film that will have a little more faith in Bijou Phillips. She's been damn good in everything I've seen her in, but her roles have never been more than supporting.
wpqx

Return to Film Talk