Before Sunrise

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Before Sunrise

Postby A » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:21 pm

I watched the film again after about 5 years, and while back than it seemed a bit childish to me, the way those two people were talking and kind of blocking themselves, I must say I liked it much more this time around. I didn't notice some of the great filmmaking the first time around, and particularly the last 20 minutes and the ending are outstanding.
Instead of a review (you know why ) here's the poem from the gorgeous looking street bum which he writes for and reads to Celine and Jesse in the film.

Daydream delusion
Limousine eyelash
Oh, baby, with your pretty face
Drop a tear in my wineglass
Look at those big eyes
See what you mean to me
Sweet cakes and milkshakes
I am a delusion angel
Im a fantasy parade
I want you to know what I think
Dont want you to guess anymore
You have no idea where I came from
We have no idea where were going
Lodged in life, like branches in the river
Flowing downstream
Caught in the current
I carry you, youll carry me
Thats how it could be
Dont you know me?
Dont you know me by now?
A

Re: Before Sunrise

Postby wpqx » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:49 am

I only saw the film for the first time a little over a year ago, maybe two. I found it one of the absolute best films I've ever seen, and just thinking about the film gives me an extremely warm and pleasant feeling reserved only for the films that truly touch you. Before Sunset was very good, but it didn't have that idealistic optimism that was so prevalent in Sunrise.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:44 am

I think that idealistic optimism wasn't there because the character we met in Sunset were more mature, more aware of themselves. They had also gone through various disappointments in their lives which wasn't quite the case in Sunrise. Both films have their strong points, so for me it's difficult to say which is better. (Linklater and his companions have stated that they'll be back for a third installment.)
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:13 am

I think perhaps I identify with Sunrise better because the characters in that film are closer to my age, before the weight of the world crushes their dreams. I found Sunset a little sadder naturally, but the ending I thought was absolutely charming. I just think that Sunrise showed that the concept actually being in love could happen in our generation, despite what we may have thought. Sunset kind of shattered that illusion to me, but it showed a different kind of truth. Not sure what a third would be like, but then again I wasn't quite sure about a second.
wpqx

Postby trevor826 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:27 am

My two eldest sons are very much in agreement with you wpqx, age is definitely an issue and that's almost certainly why I prefer (ever so slightly) Before Sunset, though I'd hate to think my dreams have been crushed, being a romantic I'd rather say they've altered. Either way, they are both very good, enjoyable films.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby A » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:26 pm

I think you've all made valid points on the two parts. I must say that something similar to the first film has happened (more than once) to me, and I feel it's a very realistic and romantic film. But I must say, that the second one appealed much more to me, as the characters are closer to myself (though I was still a bit complaining about their immaturity to myself during the screening, but probably I saw myself in it more than I wanted ) It is difficult to do the right thing in reality, though we often know what we want when alone...
I also think it has to do with your own experiences which one you prefer, and while I'm 22, that doesn't have much to say in itself. I think the second one is even more romantic and idealistic than the first film, exactly because of the many disillusions the two characters have gone through - and still they are trying to find each other again. In the first one both were more in the way of finding themselves and exploring the world for the first time, which is what most people go through. But after some disappointments many settle for something in the middle and become more "realistic"...
I always try to feel enthusiasm and passion anew, and try to see my past mistakes more like something to learn from and improve upon.
But I'm still waiting for the third which i hope to be final perfection (though I don't know how it could develop, as my personal experience sadly hasn't undergone such reunitements )
A

Return to Film Talk