Corpse Bride (2005) (USA)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Corpse Bride (2005) (USA)

Postby hengcs » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:59 am

It was good but it did not wow me away ...

PS: More to write ...
hengcs

Re: Corpse Bride (2005) (USA)

Postby trevor826 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:46 pm

Unfortuately ordinary with an extremely predictable plot after the wonderful "A Nightmare Before Christmas", just not in the same league.

I also think it's time Tim Burton got over whatever fixation he has with his father as this comes through in virtually every film.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby wpqx » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:51 am

I found it enjoyable at parts, but a little underwhelming. The musical numbers seem a little out of place and too sparse to serve any real purpose. I still had a few laughs and ultimately I did enjoy it, but perhaps not the best offering. I did however love the inclusion of Christopher Lee whose voice is instantly recognizable as the pastor. btw were are those additional comments you promised?
wpqx

Postby Johndav » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:14 am

Well, i enjoyed it- its stylisation reminded of Belleville Rendezvous as well as the slightly stronger Nightmare before Xmas- but i agree it could certainly have done without the one gaudy musical number half-way through, that altered the whole tone. Still, i do find Burton among the few interesting American directors at present, though most of his films are flawed. Big Fish was underrated- i even found it quite moving.
Johndav

Postby wpqx » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:39 am

Glad to hear somebody say that, I've been praising the film for three years now and no one seems to agree with me (Big Fish of course). I love Danny Elfman's music, just seemed out of place here. It was much better used in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Speaking of which last week I caught a little of the original on TV, and holy christ that movie is @#%$ awful, I mean just piss-poor filmmaking. Burton's film is a thousand times better.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:05 am

I liked both Charlie and Corpse Bride, but I think most would agree that Burton has done better in the past, and so they sort of left me demanding more.

(Btw, I'm having a hard time believing that we have 3 Big Fish fans here. Well, at least, they're all together now. )
arsaib4

Postby A » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:40 pm

Haven't seen "Charlie..." or the Corpse Bride, but count me in as a fan of Big Fish.
But I also have to agree with Trevor:
"I also think it's time Tim Burton got over whatever fixation he has with his father as this comes through in virtually every film."

The Nightmare before Christmas would be my favorite Burton film, IF it was directed by Burton. After all this years, I think that Henry Salick was probably better suited for it.
A

Postby Sara » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:15 pm

Nightmare was better, yes. But I loved Corpse Bride.

But nothing quite comes up to the Triplets from Belleville! (And those frogs - and the grandmother's shoe and tricycle...)

Sara
Sara

Return to Film Talk