The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch & the Ward

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch & the Ward

Postby hengcs » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:59 pm

Director: Andrew Adamson
Cast: Georgie Henley, Skandar Keynes, William Moseley, Anna Popplewell, Tilda Swinton

The official website

My thoughts ...
* possible minor spoiler *
-- In fact, I only like the scene near the end when the lion sacrificed itself ... very sad ...
-- Also commendable are the technicalities of film making, and the costumes and set design ... thnks for bringing the mythical creatures to life ... (in fact, i have always enjoyed greek mythology ... any film makers out there?!)

What could be better ...
-- In terms of story telling, I just thought it did not grip (both my friend and i thought so) ... hmmm, was it the problem of the soundtrack? or editing? or director? Just as an example, the initial war scene (with planes and bombs) could be frightening, but it just did not come across so ... sigh ...
-- I know she is a great actress, but somehow, I did not think the witch was evil/frightening enough ... and she was such an important character ... Without fear, my friend and I was not worried for the characters or what happened next ...

-- oh no, most people are going to hate me for this ... i find the film watchable but i was not crazy over it ... I actually enjoy Harry Potter more ...

PS: Side story ... we initially wanted to watch King Kong (both tickets were available), but at the last moment, we decided to buy the tickets for Chronicles. HOWEVER, after watching it, we insist that we should buy King Kong and watched it on the SAME DAY! ha ha ha

Re: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch & the Ward

Postby trevor826 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:34 am

I didn't find it very enthralling either but maybe it was because it was aimed at a young audience; or maybe it was because they put most of the effort into the cgi and not enough into projecting the story. I do know it was dumbed down a bit.

As for the latest Harry Potter, I felt it took a leap backwards after the far darker third installment, again far too much time spent getting the look right not enough attention to the plot. My sons tell me this latest one should have been the darkest plot-wise but it failed to put it across.

By the way hengcs, what did you think of King Kong or will you comment on that seperately?

Cheers Trev.

Postby hengcs » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:43 am

We can start a thread on King Kong ...

Postby mcdan » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:27 pm

Just saw this film twice in two days - in other words - two children decided to have "Narnia" birthday parties in my daughter's class. It was interesting to hear the children's reviews - mainly they all liked the scene as the wardrobe filled with fur coats opens into Narnia with the youngest daughter. After that, it was just OK. Most of the children liked the book better !!! (Same with Harry Potter.)

As the credits rolled parents were waiting to see New Zealand in the credits thanks to LOTR.

I thought the trailer was terrific earlier in the year - and I still like the trailer better than the film. But I am just not a person who likes beavers that talk. The trailer focused more on the people and the snow covered land and had an excellent music score.

Loved the White Witch but I wasn't suppose to...but anyone who can ride a CGI chariot and weld two swords gets my attention.

Weak opening. The bombs over London scene did not depict terror (am spoiled by "Hope and Glory") but the goodbye's at the train were well done until the mother just happens to work her way to the front of the crowd to wave goodbye - how did she get that prime location?

Weak script and acting - even when the dialogue was lifted exactly from Lewis' book it just felt fake. I did not feel I had really entered a new (imaginary or real) realm. The lighting I am not sure about - was it suppose to make you feel that you are in a fantasy or was it just awkward lighting?

CGI was excellent for the most part except those beavers. The lion rocked.

This is not a film I would see again or recommend to adults but I know I'll be buying the DVD anyway for my family.

(Waiting to see King Kong 1933 so I can go to the new version. Should come in the mail today. I'll look for the new thread.)

Return to Film Talk