Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)

Postby hengcs » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:25 am

Director: Mike Newell
Cast: Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint

The official website is here
harrypotter.warnerbros.co...index.html

My thoughts:
-- I especially like the themes about love, friendship and even racial harmony ...
e.g., there is old love, new love, those between lovers, those between parents and child, etc
e.g., the friendship between Harry and Ron, the friendship between the competitors, etc
e.g., compared to previous episodes, there seems to be a very conscientious effort to depict different ethnicity, and at the ending speech, there is a mention about harmony despite differences ...
-- Also, it probes at issues of sportsmanship, idol worshipping, news reporting, the judicial system, etc ...
-- Overall theme of transformations is also thought provoking too ...

Technically,
-- I like the pacing and atmosphere ...
-- In terms of cinematography, it is nice too ...
-- I like the song in the ending credits (you have to be patient to wait for this ... it does not appear till much later ... ha ha ha) ... and the song by the "sirens?" ...
-- As usual, there is some humor ...
-- Teenagers and adults will likely like it ... but kids below 10 may get frightened ...

What could be better, if at all ...
-- Given the time,
... some might complain it did not include every single event in the book ...
... while others might complain it tried to include too much from the book ...
sigh ... people are difficult to please ... hiaks hiaks ...
-- It is a pity that the three champions scenes are not exploited enough ...
e.g., no depiction of the other three fighting with the dragons
-- Some people may find the acting occasionally exaggerated ...
-- Nothing personal ... but some people may not find Cho Chang compelling enough (even in terms of the scripting) to understand why Harry Potter likes her ...

Conclusion:
I actually find it excellent!

Highly recommended for entertainment value and some nice but important messages ...
hengcs

Re: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)

Postby Unregistered(d) » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:48 am

When people watch The Land of College Prophets after they watch the new Harry Potter film they will be reminded of what is missing from Hollywood. The Land of College Prophets is an Underground comic book film that is absolutely uncompromised absolutely uncensored and twice the film that Harry Potter is. I think people should try to remember where film came from and support Independent and Underground film especially when it just so happens to be better and mean more than main stream hollywood films.
Unregistered(d)

Postby wpqx » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:21 am

Was that spam I just read? Anyways about the film at hand, it was damn good, and for my money the best of the series, certainly the darkest.
wpqx

Postby trevor826 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:59 am

I thought this was a step backwards in terms of direction, it should have been the darkest in terms of feel but just didn't feel dark and fearful enough.

As for the acting, Daniel Radcliffe still doesn't do it for me although I've never had a problem with the other central characters.

The real competition against Harry Potter this year is The Chronicles of Narnia and I'm hoping it'll be outstanding in terms of acting and not just a CGI fest, this is a classic childrens book and in essence has a far larger target audience than Harry Potter.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Return to Film Talk