The Swimmer -1968

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

The Swimmer -1968

Postby peppajaa » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:58 pm

The Swimmer.

Ned Merrill finds himself in suburban Connecticut, in a plush neighborhood, and in swim trunks. Where he has been we don't know, but Ned is determined to swim home using the 10 swimming pools in the yards of his 10 neighbors. As he does so, we meet the neighbors and they all contribute to the mystery of Ned, who his really is and what happened to him. We learn that there have been some big changes in Ned's life, and that he is in a kind of time warp. Was his institutionalized? Did he have amnesia? This film was made in 1968 and it has all the flavor of that era in bright, jarring technicolor. It is a strange film to say the least, and Burt Lancaster brings this character to life in a way that will stick with you and keep you wondering.

Re: The Swimmer -1968

Postby hengcs » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:36 am

welcome to this board

Postby gratefultiger » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:28 am

This is a great film that i haven't seen in over 20 years,i would love to see it again as lancaster is excellent in this off the wall classic,thanks for mentioning it,as it deserves to be seen.

Postby A » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:16 pm

I have wanted to see this for a long time. It was featured as part of a New Hollywood retrospective in Slovenia some years ago, where it peaked my interest, as I hadn't heard about it before.
The premise certainly sounds very intriguing, and I'd love to see the reactions of the owners of those swimming pools

Return to Film Talk