On Golden Pond 1981

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

On Golden Pond 1981

Postby Sara » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:45 pm

I didn't know whether to put this in US movies or in the Classic movie forum. Surely the leads in this wonderful movie, Kathryn Hepburn and Henry Fonda, are classic, and in my way of thinking, timeless!

Anyway, not being a reviewer, I still want to talk a bit about the film. For some strange reason - wakefulness perhaps - I watched this last night in the wee hours of the morning. That's when everything is quiet - oh so quiet - no phone ringing, no doorbell buzzing. Just the beautiful protected quiet of the night.

Even though I have seen this before, last night it seemed more beautiful, more poignant, and the humor more gentle.

Watching Kathryn Hepburn and Henry Fonda together made me see I was watching the best of the best. Maybe I didn't realize this when I watched it years ago. But last night I realized I was priviledged to be watching something magical and loving.

I thought of Henry Fonda in "The Grapes of Wrath." And in "The Wrong Man" and in "12 Angry Men."

I thought of Kathryn Hepburn in "Bringing Up Baby," "The African Queen" and in the last movie she made with Spencer Tracy, "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner."

Such a legacy each of them has. Such a contribution each has made that, in my opinion, has made our lives better, fuller, and more enjoyable.

"On Golden Pond" is a beautiful, often funny, and heartwarming film. Everything about it seems right - from the loons on the lake, the fishing scenes, the young boy and Henry's growing relationship, Hepburn calling Henry loving, "You old poop."

As I watched in the wee hours, I was painfully aware that both leads were no longer living. And yet I felt something stronger than pain or sadness. I guess you might say it was joy - yes, and gratitude.

If you want a real review, go to Ebert's at rogerebert.suntimes.com/a...10349/1023

But if you have never seen this film, maybe it is time you did.

Sara
Sara

Re: On Golden Pond 1981

Postby wpqx » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:30 pm

Well you and I have somewhat differing opinions of this film. I found it trite and mediocre. The acting may have been good, as you would expect with that cast, but certainly not deserving of the Oscar's they won, however Fonda was 41 years overdue for a statuette, so the Academy was being retro-active.
wpqx

Return to Film Talk