Don't Look Now (Nicolas Roeg, Italy/UK, 1973)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Don't Look Now (Nicolas Roeg, Italy/UK, 1973)

Postby MikLosk » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:48 am

This based on Daphne Du Maurier's story famous metaphysical thriller postulates charming hypothesis that in this world nothing is accidental, and there exists inconceivable for mere mortal's mind "pattern" of every human life. Without any attempts of interpretation Roeg uses only cinematic images and means to show viewer (all-seeing but unable to meddle observer) one of those patterns. This is a puzzle that can be assembled but its real meaning is incomprehensible for us. Despite cold severity of the plot the film is not pessimistic: it tells us that our beloved people are mortal but if the pattern of every life exists and if surrounding symbols aren't phantom then nothing disappears forever and nothing passes away tracklessly.

It's worth to mention that apart from its metaphysical secrets film suggests for viewers and more simple and traditional pleasures: e.g. marvellous athmosphere of winter everyday Venice without tourists. Laconicism of the plot turned out to be an interesting effect: it seems to viewer as if the whole empty city existed especially for married couple and everything in it was related with their tragedy and their attempts of the return to the life. Local athmosphere rarely in cinema becomes such essential part of the story: Roeg's Venice is a part of that inconceivable weird world.9/10
MikLosk

Re: Don't Look Now (Nicolas Roeg, Italy/UK, 1973)

Postby A » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:07 pm

I thought an interesting interpretation of the film would also be to see it as a depiction of the process of emancipation by Sutherland's wife. At the end she's smiling, because she has come to be freer. Her husband couldn't deal with the "supernatural", couldn't accept some facts of life, so in the end she was the stronger person, because she could.
Anyway, I really like the film. Last time I saw it, I rated it a high 7/10.
A

Return to Film Talk